Coral Vue Hydros

how long does the diatom bloom last?

tyh

harbingerofthefish

wait...and then wait some more.

no sh@t kinda advice but probally the best. My tank has been up for almost 3 months and a new diatom bloom has arrised. that's wht the crew is there for.

TIPIn my experiences cycling tanks with lights on = diatoms

cycling tanks with lights off = almost no algae or diatoms....

Most diatom blooms, if you get them, tend to start going away after around2 months or so. The cycle gets them going and then after the cycle when you add snails and critters it will slowly decrease.

The exception to this is if your water is high in phosphates or silicates.....that tends to keep them going:o

I'd bet on around 2 months max under normal conditions

Cameron

Tap water feeds the brown algae with phosphates. Expect a lot of it for about 2 months. After 6 weeks I started using RO/DI water. Diatom algae died off, haven't had them since. Going on 6 months now. Might as well start now.

Are diatoms scourge from hell?

if you put (and I get lots of advice like this) say 2-4 turbo for every 10 gallons (I placed only 4 turbos for 21 gallons) what happens after 2-4 months when no more diatom exist? time for even harder to remove hair algae or brown cyano or even coralline? Most probably the turbo die off.

or if your tank has high phosphate (or silicate) and you cut off light how will it lower?

diatoms, algae, fish and coral conditions are symtoms of what your current ecosystem is in. diatoms are not bad. they just look bad. They're good for your ecosystem. Snails, Clams and Catalaphyllia Jardenei (Elegance) grow well in their presence.

keep reefin. and scrubbing :)

Archived