Pod Your Reef

A Cure Has Been Found!

Travis

Hey guys. I don't know if you guys have read this thread on RC. But someone has found somewhat of a miricle cure for ICK!!!

GINGER ROOT has been found to rid ick from fish whithin 24-48 hours.

I fed my Ick ridden clown with a mixture of Ginger Root and Organic Garlic. 48 Hours later...NO ICK WHAT SO EVER!!!

Here's the thread if anyone wants to read it. So Far I am having great success and I wanted to share this with my fellow Nano-Reefers ;)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=181818

Good luck if you happen to try it B)

EDIT: I also did ALOT of praying to GOD :happy: He seems to listen :)

No Problem. Ginger Root has been known to cure skin cancer on Humans and Garlic will raise the Imune(sp?) system in humans. The same applies to just about all other living creatures ;)

Well, he didn't actually EAT the Ginger or Garlic, I just soaked the Ginger and Garlic with his Flake Food. I let it soak for about 10 Minutes, sterring every so often. Then I just poored the entire concocktion into the tank. He ate the flakes and just nipped at the Garlic and Ginger. It took about an hour before you could no longer see the Ginger and Garlic in the water. I guess it jsut fo stuck in rock crevisses. I think it's a better idea to leave it in the tank so that the 'juices' will go throughout the tank.

• 1 month later...

Hi Travis, how many times did you add the Ginger to the food before you noticed that it was clearing up?

I've been adding it to feeds for the last week and the ick seems to be worse & spreading to my other fish!

A Cure Has Been Found!
And who claimed credit for this "Cure"?
GINGER ROOT has been found to rid ick from fish whithin 24-48 hours.
WHOA!!! This is totally unsubstantiated!

I might mention that this is 2 year old thread, guess it is not exactly "New" news.

Not to mention this was not a controlled case or study. After 2 years on the thread there is still no evidence or study that it works. I would not suggest anyone go out and throw out proven treatments for ich for something like this that has not been proven or even lab tested for effectiveness.

I just happen to work in the medical field (Immunology) and the effectiveness of drug/chemical treatments are very hard to discern from natural events. It takes literally hundreds of millions of dollars to move a drug from "We think it might work" to "We are kind of sure it works" and even more to the point of "Hey looks like it will work" We work with case studies and drug trials by the dozens. This is in a controlled, highly documented, regimented environment.

1 or 20 guys working on hobby tanks with no way of even identifying the ich shall have a tough time showing any conclusive evidence of success

In the medical field we unfortunately see people literally die every year when they drop known treatments for the “Miracle Drug” they read about in the back of some gossip magazine. I hate so see people lose fish for the same dumb reason. The fish had no say in their own demise…..

Travis, I did not say you took credit. I am saying the statement was never made in the first place. Second, you really have no evidence or scientfic proof that it worked at all.

You need a few things in order to claim a cure for any affliction

Just determining what it is you are curing is a tough order to fill.

Most of our medical studies are centered on this very issue. Making sure of what it is you are treating and curing is of the utmost importance. If ich was a single item it might be a bit easier but it is not. There are a number of variables here that you are not able to verify. We work in a lab enviroment and it takes a lot of work just to verify that a patient has "asthma" or "immune deficiency"

If I take a medication for say a headache and the headache goes away, did the medication cure my headache? Have you ever seen a "Cure" for a headache?

When using that statement, it takes a ton of work, controlled studies and scientific backing. Also there are many that will read something like "cure found" and beleive it or not, run out, purchase and use that "cure" without regard for side effects, or other potential problems.

I just feel that posting a title like "A Cure Has Been Found" is a bit misleading, and linking it to a 2 year old thread that never proved out is a bit hasty.

I would also contend that if this was a "Cure" how come it is still not commercially available at my favorite LFS? Seems that the major affliction that ich is, the commercial potential would be enormous, yet it appears that no one has jumped on this cash cow.

.02 worth

EDIT: Also a bit interested in what skin cancer has been cured by ginger?

RandyO, you need to ease up a little bit. Travis was just sharing what he had found on the web. He was not claiming credit just sharing. Who cares what he named the thread; we all know to read the threads to see what they are all about. I appreciate the thread Travis.

Originally posted by raciampa

RandyO, you need to ease up a little bit.  Travis was just sharing what he had found on the web.  He was not claiming credit just sharing.  Who cares what he named the thread; we all know to read the threads to see what they are all about.  I appreciate the thread Travis.

I think that if you are going to post in a "Disease Treatment" forum, the title of the thread is relevant. Also when a thread is 10+ pages long, not eveyone does read the entire thing. Secondly

I never ever said he claimed credit for a cure. The fact is (had you read the entire thread he linked to) NO ONE claimed credit for a cure. It was a proposed "maybe it works" thread.

Jumping on another forum and posting it as a cure could be misleading to someone NOT READING the entire thread.

If you are going to be involved in medical treatment research whether on fish or humans, you need to be very careful about what you post publicly about something that is both unclaimed and unproven on another thread.

Don't you think that after 2 years, if this was in fact a "cure" that some commercial company would have jumped all over it?

No joke. RandyO, if this bugs you so much, go to grad school, do a study and publish a paper. Dont jump on someone on a website who is simply giving info on somrthing that worked for him.

Dude I think you need to relax, this is not a medical journal. He isn't saying he's found a cure for cancer or AIDS. Just let people share their experiences and learn from each other. Even if it doesn't work for everyone it's still great to hear different methods to try.

That is not even what I was debating. Your are telling people what they can and can't post on this website. That is not what nano-reef is about.

You are right, you should be able to post what ever you like in this forum.

You want to tell people that "Ginger has been known to cure skin cancer in humans" you just go right ahead. But be prepared to substantiate your statement. That is what open forums are about sir.

Funky_Fish14
Originally posted by Doc Shake

No joke.  RandyO, if this bugs you so much, go to grad school, do a  study and publish a paper.

Im not taking anyones side here, but just to point out that by the looks of his job, I think he has been to grad school. :) Everyone(including RandyO) has valid points.

Chris

For what it's worth, the ick started to clear up the day after I posted, and all except one of my fish are now clear.

I did read ALL of the thread, and wanted to give it a go before trying anything more extreme (medication or fresh water dip).

So thanks again Travis for adding the thread in the first place!

Archived