inTank Media Baskets

what do you do with your tank over christmas

SLOreefer

hey i know alot of you are college students like myself and was wondering what you guys do with your tanks over christmas time...ill be gone for 3-4 weeks and was wondering what you do....i dont want to take it all down and take it with me but i may have to. what do you guys think? i was thinkin about maybe selling it so i dont have to worry about this sort of thing but i just finished buying pieces to convert to a 20...so ive got alot of money invested...what to do what to do...

I'll be gone for christmas only for a week-I think an auto feeder and top off doser will take care of that. As for longer term vacations, I had thought of taking mine to my lfs and paying them to take care of it? Or, I don't know where you go to school, but I go to penn state which has not only a professor with tons of reef experience, but also a 500 gal reef in our student union. I had thought of asking whoever maintains that if he/she could maintain mine for a price.

I leave the Trigger Fish in charge.....

find some one who can help who isnt going home, who knows about reefs... or teach a janitor to look in on it like 3 times a week.

Chevy by chance ya dont go to RPI do you?

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

I leave the Trigger Fish in charge.....

Last time I did that I found a bursa passed out on the floor, wearing my tuxedo and my wife's shoes. Never, I repeat, never leave the trigger in charge.

u can always take the 2 hour trip back and forth once a week :D my friend does that almost every weekend, guess he dosen't like the Cal Poly SLO food :D

well i have a house here so the food is good.. i eat whatever i mke....i think i might jsut take it home with me since i dont trust the lfs here....they ahve a nice store but shady people.. i guess i will just take it home. the drive is like 3 and a half hours so i dont think coming back is an option.

Good to see another reefer at penn state, what are some decent shops in state college? Im at berks campus, and only make it up on weekends.

The tank in the hub is pretty nice, have you spoken with Sanjay or any of the students involved with the thank. I wonder if they will sell frags from it.

There's only one decent lfs in state college, wild side pets. They are expensive though...I find I can get much better deals on what I want from online dealers. Plus, they don't really keep much saltwater stuff in stock (some lr, and fish), so they have to order all corals anyway, so I do pretty much all my stuff online.

I haven't spoken to professor yoshi yet, but I've wondered if they'd be interested in a frag swap as well.

printerdown01

What do you need done to the tank...? I would venture to guess that if you preform a water change and dose right before you leave that you won't really have that much to worry about. All you will really need is someone to feed and top-off. The easiest way to tell someone how to top off: Measure how much water you top off with (i.e. only top off once or twice a week). Mark it on a clear cup. This way you can tell the person to feed your fish and add "this much" water from "this container" to the tank ever Sun and Wed (or whatever). You don't really need to find someone who knows what they are doing with reef tanks to watch a tank for 3 weeks. Just find someone who won't pour alcohol or play make a wish with pennies in your tank! You can always breakdown the process into steps for them. You can even label bottles "wed" or "fri" for dosing if you want. But the less you have them do the better. If you are gone for 3 weeks your tank isn't going to crash without a waterchange! I was gone for 3 weeks this summer (the tank was topped off once -no comment, but that family member will never be asked to take care of my tank again- and the fish was fed 3 times). Everything looked just fine when I got back! I was SHOCKED! I slowly brought the salanity back to the proper level, and that was that. Just don't try to "over correct" when you get back by pumping even "regular" dosages into the tank... bring it back up to normalcy slowly (over a week or so). I also left my tank here last year, the only thing I had anyone do was feed the fish 2x a week. I made it easy and cut up the food for them into appropriate feeding sizes. No top off, no dosing, nothing! I figured that everything would survive. I think you will be surprised how over cautious we really are!

i think you dont ahve to worry about a water change for that time period, just do one before you leave. and for top off i had an idea i was thinking about something for when i go home. I saw these big collapsable water jug/bag things in the outdoorstore yesterday 2.5g and 5 g well there were a few valves that you can buy for them and if you dont like th way they work i think you could rig something up. But anyway the id i had was basically have like a giant iv for the tank

Jim

ps, anyone try this?

Originally posted by spectre

I stare at it..drink alot of spiked egg-nogg... stare at it some more... and think how nice it is to be out of college...;) ;) ;):P

Bah! I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Well, maybem now that baby is almost here, I wouldn't. I am told I had a real good time. Of course, I don't remember much of it.

spectre refreshes my not quite married ass of how much fun you could have at the expense of college

I stare at it..drink alot of spiked egg-nogg... stare at it some more... and think how nice it is to be out of college...;) ;) ;):P

LIAR !

:P yer just saying that to appease the misses......

Ahh yess........ Co EDS...........

:*( brb I need a hankie.....

yeah i guess ill just set up an auto top off...i have not sdone water changes for 2 weels so the third im sure will be no problem...i can get an auto feeder ting also that will go for like 14 days...then my fish should be ok for the rest of the time...cool thanks guys.

printerdown01

Sounds like it will work to me SLO! You know what the hardest thing is?? Not worring about it durring the break! Just try not to stress so much...

Hey Dave, I have those tapes...:P :P

Crakeur, I would go back too. B)

Nothing like a good frat party hangover at the 8 am class...Damn that brings back alot of really bad memories... LOL

Originally posted by spectre

Crakeur, I would go back too. B)  

Nothing like a good frat party hangover at the 8 am class...Damn that brings back alot of really bad memories... LOL

After a horrific morning sweating out tequila during a morning spanish class ( I figured drinking tequila would enhance my spanish speaking ability. figured wrong. Pot didn't help either for the record), I made a point of never attending another class hungover. Needless to say, I didn't attend many classes. Suprisingly I graduated one summer session after most of my friends and fraternity brothers.

seems to me like i am heading down the same road you guys have.....im not into the frat thing but going to class hungover sucks. i am just gonna hang out in college as long as possible. that way i dont have to grow up and get a real 9-5. that sounds ######ty t me

Archived