SaltCritters.com

Dwarf lions and lighting intensity

AndyL

Hey folks,

I picked up a dwarf fuzzy lion today. Now I know Lions in general can develop eye problems under too intense lighting... Has there ever been a general guideline to say how intense the light can before causing problems?

I know the 400w halide that I have sitting here for the tank will never be used - but how much light could I put on the tank, without causing undue stress/injury to the lion? Would a 175w halide be too much? 2x65w? Or should I take this as a great opportunity to try out some carnations and other low/no light needed corals and light only for viewing?

Andy

I have never seen a lion having trouble because of the lighting, they can get cloudy eyes and that is usually caused from a bacterial infection. But it will be interesting to see what others say on the lighting issue.

Dwarfs like to hang upside down under rock during the day so try to make sure there are caves & ledges for this fish to sit under.

What is your Dwarf eating (Frozen or Live)?

Going by RC and wwm either it's a commonly held urban myth... Or it's true... Not having kept lions before, I don't know...

Right now he's in a tank lit only by my breeding rack, and he's out and about exploring the tank today - yesterday he only came out to feed. If anything it would seem he has a few too many hiding spots (His favorite spot seems to be hanging upside down under a large rock that forms a sort of bridge)

He'll eat anything that tastes good I guess. At the LFS I got to watch him eat frozen mysis and krill. Since he's been here, he's chowed down on frozen mysis, some FW angel fry (Would never have thought he could move THAT fast!) and some bloodworms.

Andy

They can move quickly when food is involved & I am glad to see it eats frozen. You can get a feeder stick (plastic Rod) and place different foods on it (Scallops, Squid, Cubes of Formula I and so on) this way it offers the lion a variety of food. Plus I soak my food in Zoe/Selcon a few times a week.

There are deep water lions and I would question intense light with them, I have no problem with my lions and lighting. I have kept them in my 90G Reef until they are established & eating (2-3 months) than moved them to my 300G. Plus you can have Lions in a Reef so IMO it would be fine.

Archived