Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do I feed a volitan lionfish?

cirionrc

V. Lionfish is medium size about 3.5-4" and just trained him on feeding off a feeding stick. Well, what would be the best food to feed? Krill? Shrimp from Albertsons? If I did feed him shrimp, should I get the cooked, or raw shrimp? Don't know if they put preservatives or other additives in it. Thanks

I thought that feeding freshwater fish gave them degenerative, fatty livers. That is what I was told. And about the shrimp, they have the pink shrimp that is boiled, and the brown shrimp that is raw.

wow. you'd have to keep a separate expensive feeder fish tank full of saltwater fishes!!!!! yikes!!!!

I mean I am already draining my income feeding piranhas live feeder carps and goldfish! so if I keep lionfish (and I was planning to in my all fish tank) I need live saltwater fishes!

Would a feeding plan of alternate live saltwater and freshwater feeder fish also work? I assume the saltwater feeder fish are damsels (they are the cheapest). The freshwater are guppies.

Might this work?

No No No...this is where the hard part comes in ..u have to train you lion to eat frozen or prepared foods such as silversides or uncooked shrimp...go to www.reefcentral.com and talk to FMarini....he knows everything u ever wanted to know about lion fish...hope he can help...

Archived