Cultivated Reef

allelopathy question (green sinularia)

Korbin

I recently bought a frag of sinularia. It's a white/cream color, slightly translucent, with a fluorescent green tint. I have been keeping it in my quarentine tank, and I have some questions before I introduce it to my main tank (12 gallon nano).

I've been reading about allelopathic corals, and now I'm worried that this might be a particularly "toxic" species. My tank is domintated by LPS and zonathids, which have been doing well. And I'm afraid this sinularia will harm my LPS. Does this species have a history of being compatible/incompatible with other corals?

According to Eric Borneman's book, of 43 Simularia sp. tested 28 were toxic (some very toxic). In the table he does not indicate which species are toxic and which are not, but that info may be in specific accounts.

I have a Capnella (which are non-toxic) and 2 Sinularia in a tank with some various SPS and LPS corals and haven't noticed any real problems. True they may stunt their growth and I wouldnt' know it, but they haven't killed anything (or at least nothing has died).

Archived