Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live rock question

WREKDYVR

Hello Everyone, I'm currently in the planning/purchasing stages of my 30 gallon cube. My question is this, has anyone here dealt with www.aquariumarts.com. Their live rock sounds good in the description and they pack it in saltwater not damp newspaper. This would seem to preserve more life with less die off. Any info would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

i have never purchased from them but they say 'no curing needed' on their web site.

that makes me think they dont know a darn thing about live rock.

nalbar

Nalbar, I know what you mean. But on the website they do keep the rock in curing tanks for a great deal of time. I realize that after shipping some die off is inevitable, however it seems there would be less if the rock is packed in saltwater and not just wet newspaper. I also wonder if there would be greater diversity of life preserved because of the shipping method.

There may be..but there is also a greater diversity of shipping charges associated with shipping things IN water. Remember, water weighs a little over 8 lbs/gallon. I'm not sure if the extra shipping costs would be justified for the amount of life you'd save.

Cheers,

Fred

Shipping I think would be alot higher going this way too. Unless they fill the box up to completely cover the LR with water I would think there would stilll be some dieoff. If you decide to give them a try please post with how things went. Good luck, Skip

Thanks for all the input guys. I think the reason this rock was so appealing is that the live rock I'm finding at the lfs here looks pretty sad. After reading all of your posts I've pretty much decided to place a small order of 8-10 pounds and buy the rest locally.

Thanks again

I know what you mean about the sorry looking rock here. I live in Durham, and shopped around. I went to Fish World on Capital, and their rock looked like it had been in that tank for years, with no growth on it whatsoever. I ended up getting a 45lb box from liveaquaria about a month ago. The rock is really nice. It was $99, plus something like $45 for shipping. If the sale is still going on, you should look into it. 45lb is a good amount for a 30 gallon tank if you use the 1.5lbs/gallon rule.

Scott

If you want to order online, I'd suggest www.exoticfish.com . That's where I got my rock...great rock at a good price...basically comes straight to you from the South Pacific. (They repack and ship straight from the Tarmac)

Cheers,

Fred

Well guy's, I checked out both websites you listed and the prices seem reasonable. Shipping would be a lot less than the stuff I was looking at from aquariumarts. Still in research mode at the moment, but I will post here when I get it all sorted out.

Thanks again for the input.

Archived