inTank Media Baskets

Am I ready?

bdmiller

My tank has been setup for almost 4 weeks now. Yesterday my measurements were as follows:

ammonia=0

ph=8.0

nitrite=0

nitrate=0

Can I add fish yet?

Okay....sounds good but always remember 1 thing. Just because your tank is "cycled" doesn't mean it is stable by any means yet. You could add a fish but add slowly. Also try something simple and hardy like a chromis/damsel or a clown of some sort.

Personally I have always waited a week after the tank "cycled" to add anything just so it can stabilize a little longer but you can add a fish if you'd like....just remember just one to be safe.

Patience is key here.....:D

Cameron

FIsh are the top predator and consumer/ supplyer / waste maker on the reef. I generaly add all inverts first, fish last.

Damzels might be a bad idea...

try a clown. Tomatoes and Ocies are hearty, or a pseudochromis

if ya absolutely NEED a fish. Id add stars, crabs, snails and a cheep soft coral / GSP or leather/ actinidiscus first.

Is this a reef or fish only tank, because I think you should raise your ph to 8.3, if this is a reef tank. You might want to raise it even if it’s a fish only tank imo.

This is a reef tank. I'm glad you caught that Cesar. I thought it was kind of low myself. As most of the people here have ph of 8.1-8.2. How do I raise this? Will bionic do the trick? I was thinking of getting that anyway.

get a pH buffer. it will keep your pH at 8.3. 2 clowns are ok. someone recommended tomatoe clowns, i would rather go true or false perc since they would get that big and not that aggressive.

Archived