Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Conch?

renichms

I just bought some zoanthids and on one of the rocks was something that looks like a really tiny conch shell. It's white with brown on it, and it has little spike-like protrusions around the swirled end. I would give a pic but it isn't out where I can find it right now. Is it some sort of conch? If so, any ideas on what kind?

RN

does it have any spikes on the shell?? if so..it could be a queen conch. I have a fighting conch which sifts in the sand all day and it has a smooth shell. good luck on the ID! Take Care! Hunter

Yes, lots of little spikes around the top of the shell. Not been able to observe its behavior much since it arrived yesterday afternoon. So far, it likes to hug around the bottom edge of rocks, partially under the sand.

RN

yep...sounds like you have a queen conch! not sure where it came from though. I know some queen conch's come from florida or the caribbean. do some research on it. you'll prolly find tons of info on the queen conch! hope this helps some! take care! Hunter

I'm not sure if they are hitchhikers and if you did get a hitchhiker conch...then you got extremely lucky and I congrats you for getting one! :) I DO KNOW they get pretty big, fighting conch's stay relatively small around 6 inches where I've heard the queen's get over a foot long. never actually owned a queen conch but it's only what I've heard! glad to help! Take Care! Hunter

Originally posted by Hunter21

I'm not sure if they are hitchhikers and if you did get a hitchhiker conch...then you got extremely lucky and I congrats you for getting one! :) I DO KNOW they get pretty big, fighting conch's stay relatively small around 6 inches where I've heard the queen's get over a foot long. never actually owned a queen conch but it's only what I've heard! glad to help! Take Care! Hunter

The Queens can get that big in the wild. But its rare for them to even get to half that size in an aquarium.

oooh...thanks for correcting that drg0nzo1. like I said..I've heard all over this website about the queen's getting bigger. but nobody mentioned about them ONLY getting big in the wild! thanks again take care! Hunter

Archived