Top Shelf Aquatics

surface skimmer prototype

Eric Bivens

Here is a shot of my protoype surface skimmer it will also feed the outside overflow once I get the reefugium set up. I built it out of tinted acrylic and it hides nicely!

All the gasses are now gone from the surface took it about a half hour..

any thoughts?

Originally posted by Eric Bivens

Here is a shot of my protoype surface skimmer it will also feed the outside overflow once I get the reefugium set up. I built it out of tinted acrylic and it hides nicely!

All the gasses are now gone from the surface took it about a half hour..

any thoughts?

Nice, what are the dimensions, and how do you have it set up? I was thinking of one of these types of things for my 1G hex, or my 2.5G.

Nice Work!!!!I made the same thing from clear acrylic and it worked great...Where did you get the tinted acrylic to make yours and what is the thickness...

Where it goes depends on your set up. What kind of filteration are you running?

At the moment I have amiricle wet dri on my reef, So I put the power head that feeds that into the overflow box, Eventually when my sump is installed I will use this as a siphon cotrolled overflow, I made a second one with out the slots that will hang on the back of the tank, I will drill holes in the bottom and it will feed the sump/ reefugium. Temporarly though it is working great, I will take pictures and post them when I get home from work today ( Im at work now) As far as the materials a friend of mine has a huge stack of cut offs of the material he was going to throw away, I grabed a bunch also got some 1/2" thick clear to.

The dimensions were set to hold the power head and also to do the job once the powerhead comes out. 2 1/2"x 6" x 4"

2 1/2 front to back, 6" wide, 4" deep.

I made a fixturs to assist with the assembly a block of mahogany cut perfectly square and to size this really made the assembly easy. waiting the 48 hours to cure was the hard part.

I am also using this material to create a sump/reefugium, I am building the areea where the tank will sit and then I will start that project.

Archived