Cultivated Reef

A few tank pics (At Week 3)

Sahin

Here are a few tank pics I too today.  The tank was only lit by Actinics and most pics were taken without the use of a flash.

Reef1.jpg

Reef2.jpg

Reef3.jpg

Reef4.jpg

Reef5.jpg

Reef6.jpg

Reef7.jpg

The Frogspawn variety coral I got really cheap.  Its quite a small piece.  At the time of taking pic the coral has shrunk a lot as it does so every night. In the daytime its much larger.

The Plate coral is quite a nice addition. The colour is pinkish brown. Not as nice as the green variety, but still a nice coral.

Well, thanks for waiting for the pics to load.  Hope you like the pics. :)

Vixyswillie

*drools on self*

Awesome reef and pics, Sahin. I love the way you have the rock and sand sculpted - lookin' very oceanic! :) Nice job.

Can you post the stats on your reef (tank size, equipment, etc.) for us newbies?? Thanks!

The stats are:

24G Glass tank (36inch long)

RedSea Prizm Skimmer (noisy but does its job)

Light; 1xActinic, 2x 9500K Daylight tubes.

2x Maxi-jet 600 (kinda fast flow, so slowed down)

Temp: 79-82F From morning to evening.

Lights on Actinic: 9am-8pm Main: 10am-7pm

3inch VERY FINE sand DSB

SG at 80F; 1.026

Only been setup three weeks.

[i just want to mention that the Plate coral is much larger usually, the pic was taken a short while after I moved him to an area with a softer flow, thus he appears quite retracted.]

About the tank: I had quite a bad diatom problem which has been drasticaly reduced by the introduction of 8 fairly large Astrea snails.

These guys are real ahrd workers.  There are also about 6 hermits who try thier best.  There are also other various snails and slugs that have hitched with the rocks - including a very cool CHITON.

I have had problems with Aiptasia which I successfully and rather easily got rid of. I also had a mantis shrimp which I managed to kill by putting the whole rock he was in into freshwater for many hours.

If you do your research/reading before you even touch a nano reef, then your off to a good start.

I was ready to combat many problems simply becuase I read up all I could beforehand.  And have a lot of patience.

Other tips for newbies; dont skimp on the lighting or the rocks.  Try and buy the best you can and whats suitable for the corals you want to keep.

I have almost 30lbs of LR in there, but I dont consider it enough.  I will purchase perhaps yet still another 5lbs (cured already).

hey nice tank

like the frog spawn i want to get a knobby wall for my nano its only 9 bucks its kinda cool nice tank

cam

Looking great Sahin! I like the aquascaping. Do your corals come attached to rocks? If so you may not need to add more rock separately.

Thanks for the comments.

I am hoping to add quite a few more corals in the coming weeks, along with a clown fish as well, hopefully it will look more colourful.

Lizbeth: I think you are right.  I decided not to add any more rocks, but just purchase corals with rocks attached.

I really want some green and blue mushrooms, so I guess these will come with quite a lot of rocks.

hey nice tank sachin. Do you find the PRIZM skimmer to actually work? hey do u add any iodine or calcium to your tank? or nay other suppliments?

Freckles; Thanks.

Eferna; thanks too.

Yeah the prizm started to skim stuff about the second week.

I guess there was nothing to skim before that anyway.

It is producing a very dry foam.  

I dont have any fishes or large waste producing stock in my tank yet, so I guess there isnt much to skim, but its still doing alright.  I certainly wouldnt call this a good skimmer though, just adquate for this sized tank, even though its rated for a 90G (like no way!).  Its quite noisy though and setting it up was hard.  But you get used to it.

Right now I just add a little calcium every week. I am using Kent Marine Liquid Calcium.  I added iodine last night, and it was a good thing too as my cleaner shrimp just moulted.

I am using Reef Crytals salt.  This is meant to be a good salt with lots of enhanced levels of various additives.

I guess I will be dosing calcium supplement say half a ml every night once there are a load more corals in there.

hey I have the same liquid calcium as you do. Does it not say to add a few drops every day? Speaking of that.... I forgot to add mine...Oops.

Yeah, it does, but I dont have in the way of corals, and my Salt is Reef Crystals which is already calcium boosted.

So I didnt want to add too much calcium just yet.  The tank should have enough from the salt mix plus what I add weekly.

Archived