Cultivated Reef

finger leather not looking too hot!

lil_clownfish13

lil_clownfish13

well,

i have a finger leather, and intially when i bought it he was all spread out with little polyps pokin out from everywhere, and now hes been scrunched up for a few days with little clear "needle-like" projections in about 4 places. I dont want this thing to die, could someone give me some tips on keeping these guys happy??

10g tank, Fluval 1, Elite Powerhead, Powersweep 212.

Temp:76* - SG normal, A/N/N=0/0/<10 -

Thanks for the advice!!

Tina

lil_clownfish13

i have 2 50/50 Fl/Act bulbs (15 w each) and a 15 w Actinic bulb- should i put him closer to the lights??? Hes at middle of tank currently

• 2 weeks later...

I have a finger leather too - I bought it two weeks ago and it's on its side the whole time. It doesn't stand up, but I'm pretty sure my light is good - I have a HQI 150W but it's a foot above the tank, maybe it's too high? What do you think guys?

Those things are fickle as hell. Some people have better luck "hanging" them; allowing them to overhang a rockledge as they do in nature. The needle things are spicules that the softie uses as a partial "internal skeleton." The brown ones are mostly filter feeders. I would try an overhang in a less lit area. Good luck.

i would agree, put it where you have some good flow so when you add filter feed, it can easily feed. hanging it over a rock would be good or near the edge of your rock, it should angle where it wants. i know mine pivots itself on his rock towards different directions. you should have enough light for it.

Archived