Pod Your Reef

Aptasia Problem Solved!

luv2jeep

Just wanted to share my experiences!

I recently set-up a new 10-gallon nano and the live rock I purchased was beautiful. But ... it had a serious Aptasia problem as well. After much debate over adding another shrimp (already have a Coral-Banded), I broke down and bought a "True" Peppermint shrimp. I put him in the tank at around 7PM Saturday evening. When I woke-up Sunday morning, there was only 1 rather large Aptasia left (previously, there were about 10-15)! I was worried about the large one being too large for the tiny shrimp, but every day,it appears as if the shrimp is attacking it more. I feel some kind of sick joy from seeing it be destroyed slowly day-by-day! :P

Anyhew, to make a long story short, Peppermint Shrimp DO WORK to kill Aptasia! On a side note, I had 3 Peppermints in my old 75-Gallo reef in Colorado and NEVER saw an Aptasia for the year I had it up!

are the cb and peppermint in the same aquarium? if so do they fight w/each other? i recently decided to remove my cb after realizing that he was probably a severe detriment to my sand fauna... i like my cb but i love critters! besides the critters do more for the tank functionally. congrats on ridding yourself of aiptasia, though. :)

Cool. Now just keep your eye on your 2 shrimp. You may start seeing some fighting so just keep your eye on it.

Peppermints do get the bad wrap sometimes for not taking care of them but it's usually because they got the wrong ones....glad yours worked:D

Cameron

Well, let's just say they "tolerate" one another! Most of the time, the Peppermint spends jammed up beside the powerhead when the CB can't get at him. I am considering removing my CB anyway due to how much he has grown.

I bought him online and his body was about 3/4" long in Dec. 2000. He has been in 4 different nano tanks of mine and is now about 1-3/4" long!

I hate to see him go, but like the lack of Aptasia better!

Well once the Aiptasia are totally gone it isn't likely they will come back unless you introduce them back in with more rock or something.

Once they are all gone moving one shrimp out is highly recommended. I would remove the CCB even though you like him because he will get bigger and will eventually outgrow the tank. Just my opnion there but he will also get my aggressive. They tend to be pretty territorial too....

Cameron

Yes, I have noticed that as he gets larger. He chases around my pair of clowns ALL the time!

Matter of fact, he chases just about everything around! Snails, Crabs, Fish, Shrimp ... Yup, time for him to go!

Any takers in Detroit metro area?

leave it in, its entertainment.

they generaly dont do any harm. I have many many tanks woth multiple species of shrimps.... the Pepermints might start picking on zoos, polyps, xenia, and GSP if ya have it. Just keep an eye out.

They can be ONO-LICIOUS too I hear..... ??? ask Ajaro.

that reminds me... about 3 months ago i "inherited" some shrimp that my gf's parents brought back from the beach. they collected them thinking i would want them, so i had to do *something* with them. they looked like freshwater ghost shrimp only about twice as large. so i stuck em in with my cb to see how they'd do, i figured there's 3 of em, and 1 cb, plus lots of hiding places for everyone. they were pretty "entertaining" for awhile, but the cb would constantly pester the others whenever he saw them. to make a long story short about 1 1/2 months later all 3 of them were dead & eaten. :o not saying the cb shrimp did it as i never witnessed him bludgeoning any of them... could have just been a coincidence but i doubt it. i doubt it was the water quality since my cb shrimp has been in for about a year and molted about 10 times without incident. he probably just stressed them to death if he didn't physically rip them to pieces. poor shrimpies. :(

printerdown01

If you remove the pep aptasia WILL grow back! I have had this problem SEVERAL times in my nano. This time I am going to leave the pep in for 6 months or so. I may move him to my fuge until I see signs of aptasia poping up again. Unfortunately, they do not get all of the tissue out. On the other hand if you keep 'em in the tank they will keep eating them as the start to pop up....

Same thing happened when I added a pep shrimp. All aipaisia gone in one day! I have just 2 corals: a frogspawn and GSP colony, and he hasn't bothered those. He gets along fine with other tankmates.

Archived