Top Shelf Aquatics

corals out of water?

HideMe

If I need to take a rock and/or coral out of my tank to frag it, move it, examine it, or whatever, how long can it be out of the water before I risk damaging the coral? I'm sure it's different time for different corals, but let's say softies, LPS, mushrooms... I'd rather not just try this out myself. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

~~~~/)~~~~

if you are going to have it out of the tank for long, i would look at it in like a small plastic tub full of tank water. Sorry im not sure how long they can actually be out of water.

many corals produce slime when they are physically stressed ie when out of water. the slime helps protect their delicate tissue and reduces the amount of drying out. if the coral that you want to take out produces slime then more than likely it'll be able to handle a long period enough to manipulate the coral. if you don't know if it produces slime ask here or just take it our for a very short period.

Ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't cause any harm by having them out of the water for a minute or two. I appreciate your responses!

~~~/)~~~

Archived