Innovative Marine Aquariums

My porcelain crab's new claw!

Drysocket

This is Lefty...uh...was Lefty.   He's a porcelain(anemone)crab.

I've had him for about a month and a half.  When I bought him, he had only one claw, hence the name.  He started to grow a little nubbin where his other claw should have been.  It was just a little stub.  

While I was at work today, he molted.  To my suprise, he now has two claws!  How the hell did that happen?!?  This morning a lump - this evening a claw!

Could this new claw have been growing all the while under his old shell?  

If anyone has any ideas, please share.

Here are pictures for you skeptics.

Here's what he looked like.  If you put your face right up to the screen, you can see his stump.

PorcelainCrab1.jpg

Here's a picture of him from tonight.

PCrabNewClaw.jpg

From what I take it. The claw was actually in the little stud. The claw if you try to feel it will be very soft and will later harden.  It seems that porcelian crabs can dis-mount their claw when provoked or in danger and then grow one back very quickly...the same thing with a lizards tail..

very interesting actually.

my coral banded shrimp lost a few claws and remolted them back before she was eaten by my Huma Huma Nuka Nuka awanapula....or something like that :)

I think most crusty's can do this,

Toy

Very nice pictures! I've read about crabs doing this it's neat to see. It looks like one more molt and the claw will be full size.

printerdown01

Toy where in the world did you get a humuhumunukunukuapua'a?!?!? LOL these things are like MAJORLY protected!! They are even illegal to accidentally catch on a fishing line in Hawii (and I believe that the Hawii is their only natural habitat). LOL, Are they raising them in farms or something now? -anyone know?

**drysocket, very cool story... The guy is obviously happy in his new home and eating well... -good to hear!

Drysocket,

In the 2nd photo, what kind of coral is the crab in, I really like it.

Daniel

Thanks everyone!

Djm9288, That's a hammer coral. I think some people call them hammerhead corals, too.  It seems to be doing well in my tank.  I also accepts small peices of shrimp and shrimp pellets when I put them on it.  It's really cool to watch.  The crab tends to hide under it.  I've never actually seen him get on top of it like I had hoped.

is that huma huma etc..... trigger fish the huma huma or picasso trigger? those are commonly available in the aquarium trade. by the way, love the crab, and great pics.

Archived