Cultivated Reef

75 gallon stocking list

VirginiaReefAquatics

VirginiaReefAquatics

Ok How does this stocking list sound for a 75?

All opinions, plus and minuses are welcome.

1. 1x Pair Ocellaris Clowns

2. 1X six-line wrasse

3. 1x Blue hippo tang aka Regal tang

4. 1x Pair Lyretail Anthias

5. 1x

Any opinions?

With the anthias, go for more than a pair. 5 or 6 is ideal. Then without number 5 you'd be fine. A sandsifting goby or something would still work there also.

IMO I would eliminate the Blue hippo tang, this fish is shy, needs space, grows fast & is a fast swimmer.

Even a tiny one will grow very fast, IMO I would not put a tang in a 75g.

If you really want a Tang in a 75g though the only tang I would attempt is a Kole. They grown to 4-5 inches will pick at the glass and rock.

With that being said I would do this when the tank is mature and not new.

Because a 75g is to small for a fish like this and if you have seen one in a 10g well thats just cruel.

This is a fast swimmer, Skiddish & grows fast and it is also known as an Ich Magnet.

A healthy hippo should out grow your 75 in the 1st year, why not get a fish that you can keep in the tank?

This fish requires a mature tank also, I sold mine but it grew from a small baby to around 5 inches in 13 months, It was in my 300.

Most recommend a 6 foot or larger tank for Tangs.

greatreef16 please link me to your sources I would love to see that. And I am not talking a web site that just wants to sell you a fish.

I will add if you do get a hippo make sure the stomach is not pinched, it is eating and the place you are getting it from has had it a week or more. I would add it only after the tank is Mature. This will become very important for health of this species.

Good choice!

While I do think a 75 is appropriate becuase of its width and *minimum* length swimming space, 6 or 8 foot tanks are better. I trust saltwater's advice.

Archived