Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calcium Reading!!!! Pls Help!

planetg

Do you mean seatest?

580 is very possible. I was trying to use a seatest calcium test kit and I found it very frustrating and i never felt confident of the results. I just received a seachem test kit today and it was easier. unfortuantley my water just tested at 550.

Are you dosing anything? If you are, you need to scale back a bit. (me too, now that I have a test kit that works)

if your not dosing anything or running a reactor ,throw that test kit in the pail and get another brand.

Good Luck,

Guy

Read the instructions that came with the kit. Obviously, reading of 550 and beyond are false because that would be a supersaturated calcium level which would cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out in your tank (it will look like it is snowing). This isn't really a problem as the particles will re-dissolve when CA+ levels fall enough to allow it to do so.

Some test kits test for total calcium hardness while other test for CA+ concentration. Usually, you need to multiply by .4 if your test reads for total calcium hardness to get an equivalent reading in CA+. I have Red Sea, Lamotte, and Hagen calcium test kits. I like the Hagen best. The Lamotte measures overall CA so I have to multiply by .4 (it usually gives me readings of a little over 1000). If you are worried about using so much reagent just cut your sample in half using DI water and multiply the final result by 2. The larger a cut sample you start with the more accurate your results will be as the importance of slight errors in dilution will be reduced.

• 3 weeks later...

calcium that high is not unheard of, mine has been 500 - 600 since day one, 6 yrs ago. it doesn't look like snow in my tank, however my corals do very well. I don't add any calc additives to my tank.

Archived