Cultivated Reef

sick yellow leather

capt-jab

My lfs gave me a small yellow leather that wasn't doing well. Three days later, the stalk has a rip in it and the coral is melting from the inside. I need help quick! I've noticed a small dark spot near the crown,maybe dark green or black can't tell. I will try propagating if that may help to save any of it.Our lfs had given up on it and maybe I should to,but I would love to help it.

Thanks for any help and a great site,maybe someday I can return the favors. Jab

Thank you for a fast response jb. I may have to it's not looking good for (yellow ledbetter),although I would like some more replies first. Any ideas what may be wrong with it .

jenniebutterfly

i have no clue, i had one that melted when i was on vacation, luckily i had some good filtration so my tank did not crash, just lost the one coral. sorry i cannot be of more help, but if you have a hospital tank try putting it in there :) jen

/agree take out carefully and try to frag good parts off. I would say anything 1cm to the "melting" is gone. ptu the frags back in the tank (secure them loosly), keep the water clean and hope for the best. good luck!

Thank you guys.I was only able to frag 1 peice about the size of half a golf ball, now I'll just keep my fingers crossed. What is the reason to secure it loosely verses glueing it.I'm not disagreeing just trying to learn as much as possible. Thank you for your advice Jab

jenniebutterfly

glue won't stick because of the slime that they produce. securing it loosely with netting will help it attach and not float around where it can be sucked up by powerheads and stuff :) jen

Archived