Innovative Marine Aquariums

Swift Creek "sand"

PFB

Starting my 3 gal., purchased 5 lbs of Swift Creek "Sand". LFS said it was basically crushed coral, the size of sand and is perfect for reef substrate.

Well, I washed and rinsed it well, at least I thought I did and added, pre-mixed Instant Ocean with RO water. Mixed water for approx. 6 hrs with air-stone and power head.

It has been two days now and the water is so cloudy, I still can't see back of tank.

I am running a small filter with some floss in it trying to filter out as many particles as possible, but it hasn't helped much.

Question, should I turn off filter to allow particles to sink to bottom? Will this eventually clear or will it re-occur when I add mini-pump and/or perform water changes?

I know it's not air bubbles, the stuff is kinda cream colored.

Thanks much in advance?

As long as there is nothing else in the tank, you might try letting it settle for a few hours with the filter off. If you see a difference in the water, keep the filter off until it settles fully. It should work fine with the filter off but it might take a bit longer.

4 days now, getting better but long from clear. This "sand" has way to much dust.

I would not recomend this stuff. Planning on going back to LFS to complain, for what it will be worth.

printerdown01

All you have in the tank is sand and salt right...? Honestly neither of these should take 4 days to sebtle..... What is the salanity level?? I am using some of the finest grade sand out there. I have been adding it slowly to my tank (creating a deeper sand bed with a smaller particle size). It does cloud the water but it always goes away within like 2 hours (took 4 hours when I put it in my fuge -2.5 gallons). That is VERY weird!! I have never heard of anything like this happening before. I even considered the possibility that the IO was high is calcium which would have caused it to "snow" in your tank... BUT NOT for 4 days!! What alarms me even more is the fact that this is SO thick that you can't see the back of a 3 gallon (what is that like 5"??), that's nuts!! Note: I spend about 10 min washing a single CUP of oolitic grade sand before I add it to the tank. If the water is still looks cloudy I rinse it again... Even if you didn't wash the sand it souldn't take 4 days LOL. I dont know what to tell you, thanks for sharing this... Has anyone else used this sand???

5 days now and I can see the back of the tank.

I ended up putting poly filter floss in hang-on and ran all last night and all day today. Based on the length of time that you wash a cup of sand - I flat out didn't wash it and strain it enough.

It has left a film on the side of the tank that can be wiped off, but still, I don't like this stuff.

This is my 1st time with sand - have always used gravel for fresh water and crushed coral (larger pieces) for SW fish only - and never had this problem.

Stay away if you are out there and thinking about this "sand".

printerdown01

I actually like the looks, and functionability, of a crushed coral mixed with oolite. That is AMAZING that the stuff took that long to sebtle though!! I'll have to try and find this stuff, just to play with it, LOL!! Where did you get it from, i.e. where are you located, and what LFS...?

Ok. it settled and cleared.

Just added about 1 lb. of life sand from my LFS and 3 .5 lbs of LR.

So thats a total of 6 lbs of sand and 3.5 lbs of LR for a 3 gal. tank.

From what I am reading here, that should be all that is needed.

Thanks all for your help.

I will continue reading posts, change 10% water with RO, Reef Crystals mix and in about 1 month should be ready for stocking - I hope.

I got the same 5 lbs. of crush coral from Under the Wave and the water cleared up in about 8 hours I think it was less but I can't remember. I rinsed the coral about 4 or 5 times in a 5 gallon bucket. I also had a HOB filter that moves 295 G.P.H. My tank is 20 gallons. Maybe it took so long to clear because you only have a few gallons.

Caesar

Crystal clear now.

LR has lots of small critters, worms and such.

Running a Zoo Med Micro Jet MP10 (as suggested on this forum)and a small filter just for additional circulation.

Will crank up my JBJ 18 watt hood once cycle is complete.

Again, I just flat out didn't rinse this sand enough, oh well, looks like no harm done. Live and learn, eh?

Archived