Coral Vue Hydros

Tank Ready for Fish?

Tater

I am wondering if my 50 gal tank that has been running since the first of January is ready for a fish or two. I have already gotten a dozen snails and hermits in the tank. I have also gotten a Emerald Crab recently. All seem to be doing great.

Lately I have been having troubles with my calcium, but it now is improving after buying some buffer. Tonight I did a water change and am taking the water to get tested once again tomorrow. This will be fifth water test.

Now I know I am not ready for a lawnmower blenny or anything like that just yet. But, is it possible for me to possibly get a clown or a type of fish like that if my water test results come back ok?

Originally posted by drg0nzo1

If you test it and it is done cycling, it should be fine for clowns.

Might be a stupid question, but how do you know when it's done cycling?

You will notice that you have 0ppm in ammonia, 0ppm in Nitrite, 8.0 in your Ph levels and a minimal amount of Nitrate. You will find this out by doing a test with a test kit. Do you have a test kit?

If your animals in the tank die, then you know your tank wasnt done cycling. Im talking about the ones you already added in the tank, hermit crabs, snails, and emerald crab. Do you have live rock? Your tank might not be done cycling if you have no place for good bacteria to grow. Might want to wait a couple weeks like 2-3 to see if the critters you have in your tank die or not.

Well, compromising your water parameters just to be impatient isnt good.

Just wait the cycle out, then add cleanup, then watch for stability, then add fish.

Archived