Innovative Marine Aquariums

Too bright?

Salim

I'm planning a 2.5 and I originally intended to put 3x13watt PCs over it. However, Several folks have told me that this is too much lighting.

I know that I'll need to acclimate my livestock to the lighting. either by gradually increasing the photo-period or by not using all of the lights initially.

I'm curious about what others think.

By the way, I really don't want to use the built-in-ballast lights from hellolights.com. Any suggestions on remote ballast 13watts with 10k and 03 bulbs?

Salim

I just built my tank out of acrylic and it;s a 2 gallon. I am also wondering if 3x13w pcs are too bright (1 6400, 2 50/50). I just got two bright kits from AHsupply (I don;t know if they are remote or not).

Too bright? I would have to say NO, not in the least.

I have two 13 watters (10K & actinic) over my 2.5 and could definitely see adding a third. I'm not gonna though as for one, the hood is packed already by having the two in there, shoe-horning a third in there would be too much a pain in the pooty.

Secondly... heat! With the two I can manage to keep the tank at 80 as long as the house doesn't get too warm. Nicer days this summer when the AC wasn't running it was a nitemare trying to keep the tank below 86, ran a fan on the tank but I could watch the water level drop before my eyes. This is not good!...hehe

Sooooo, if you can do it, fit 'em in and not be able to use the tank to cook ramen noodles then I say GO FOR IT! :D

could you guys post some pictures of your 2's and 2.5's?

I just started a 2.5 with an 18 watt JBJ. It fits perfectly on top of the tank. Heat is a problem when its directly on the glass top, but I'm planning to elevate it.

If the photo shows up, here ya go... I have a thread in the Members section with all the info and more pics. Thread is "Few days off so 2.5 is born"

Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.dnm=yellow+leather+is+back.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Oh, duh. I already saw it in the members section. Its what made me drive out to Menards to get a bookworm..

That is one awsome setup you have there. I love the hood and stand.

Archived