Cultivated Reef

Clownfish died!!! Looking for immediate help!

realhiphop

I sent out a post last week talking about the huge algae problems I'm having with my tank. I had my tank running for almost 2 months before adding the clowns. Than the algae started. I was doing 2 gallon water changes with distilled water twice a week. The water coming out of my tank smelled putrid and was green. I came back today to find one of my false clowns dead. I have no clue whats wrong with my tank. Someone respond quickly!

printerdown01

Have any macro besides the hair?? It is possible that if you had an algae bloom that you had an alga sp. that sporated (I don't think hair will do this... that is to say I have never heard of it happening)! This would have sucked all the O2 out of the water (which would account for the clowns death. The question is why did you have the massive outbreak in the first place!?!? Hair at 2 months is not unheard of... but I would venture to guess that your nitrates and phosphates are high... You could run activated carbon (this will also help clear up the water) and Phosphate Sponge. This will help you, but this still doesn't tell you why you had the problem in the first place -which leaves the possibility of a relapse. It is also possible that you stressed him out with the water changes! You were doing 40% a week! THAT IS A LOT! I never do more than 20% even in an emergency... It is also possible that you are adding chemicals to the water with the distilled water!! I cannot stress the importance of ro/di water. If you don't use it, for whatever reason, make sure you use a water conditioner! Also I think some water companies use copper tubing for distillation (which could create a major problem in a reef tank -would probably be fine with the clown).

Sounds to me like very low oxygen and low pH. Run carbon, skim the junk off the top of the water and increase flow by pointing your powerheads so they just break the surface. You might also need to reduce your photoperiod by a couple of hours - you've got an awful lot of light over that 10g. Also get a decent marine test kit. Without knowing the water parameters, we are just guessing.

Sounds to me like very low oxygen and low pH. Run carbon, skim the junk off the top of the water and increase flow by pointing your powerheads so they just break the surface.You might also need to reduce your photoperiod by a couple of hours - you've got an awful lot of light over that 10g.

Any chance you could explain this to me? I'm planning a 2.5 and I originally intended to put 3x13watt PCs over it. However, Alot of folks have been telling me that this is too much lighting.

I know that I'll need to acclimate my livestock to the lighting but I hadn't heard about lighting/oxygen problems.

Or did I read that wrong? ???

Salim

How many clowns did you stick in there? Would you say that the algae blooms happened BECAUSE of the introduction of the fish or was it from adding that mystery sand to your tank? Or did the blooms happen first and the fish second?

I suggest you pray for the remaining fish. Tank seems unstable and not cycled adequately. What are the readings on your test kits?

Is it possible to find a quarantine tank or a holding tank (nice LFS?) to babysit your fish for you until you get things all squared away?

So how do you guys suggest I proceed with this problem? I have no access to RO/DI water unless I buy a unit. Although I know this is a great investment, I just can't afford it right now.

What do I need to buy to run activated carbon and a phosphate sponge? I'm not that familiar with anything besides my live rock as the natural filter. I'm assuming that the algae became so prevalent due to possible overfeeding. Can you verify this? I have a FasTest kit, but it doesn't come with a test for phosphates. What kind of purifier should I use for the distilled water, and do I need to add more to my clean up crew to get rid of the algae problems?

Remove as much algae as you can by hand and by skimming off the surface. Phosphate sponge and 25% WC if you are sure that the tank has cycled completely. Use a well aerated (24Hrs by PH) salt mix with distilled water or water from one of those Glacier machines that do Ozonated RO for 30c a gallon. Feed lightly and halve the lighting for now. You say you have a FastTest kit. What are the parameters?

Start over. sounds like you have Bryopsis hair algae. all the symptoms point to it. its hughly toxic and chokes the tank Like smoke chokes Canary Birds. SOME grocery stores have RO drinking water dispensers now. try that. ALso a better grade salt might help.

Take all the rock out and scrubb it with a potato brush. use 3 buckets

1) empty (fer scrubbing)

2) 1/2 full with tap water (fer rinsing)

3) some tank water fer re acclimation with 1/3 NEW salt water.

HTH

I did a water test yesterday and the water parameters are:

nitrite 0

nitrate maybe 10

ammonia- 0

ph around 8.4

What do you guys suggest for a HOB filter to add to my 10 gallon? How does a tank get bryposis hair algae? I'm using IO salt and distilled water. I have no way of getting any RO water around here.

if you don't have access to RO, you might want to try DI, the Tap water purifier isn't all that much and should last you quite a while with only a 10 gallon tank.

-Ed

Your rocks and sand would be the original source of your algae. Too much light, high nitrates and possibly phosphates, a new tank, and insufficient consumers of the algae are the cause of the outbreak. If nitrites and ammonia are low, go with the water changes, snails, and hand pulling if you don't want to start over. Snails won't touch it unless its really short.

BustytheSnowMaam

I'm sorry you're having these problems with your tank. You were wise to wait two months before adding the clowns. What are you feeding them that you think might be contributing to the problem?

In my tank, I use the HOB Whisper power filter that came with the tank set. You can get them at Wal-Mart. You have the option of running the filter with just the floss or adding the activated carbon that comes with it. I also have 20 lbs of LR.

It could be that your nitrates are low because the algae is using it so quickly. Try to scrape and pull as much of it out as you can, then use a siphon to suck the floating stuff out. Do things to increase the growth of coralline algae, because that will put out chemicals to inhibit the growth of the nuisance algae. You could add a little calcium to help speed it up (when you see about a quarter-sized patch of purple growing on the glass, you're on your way).

You can buy gallon jugs of RO water at any grocery store. Check out the labels of the water labeled "drinking water"- it will say in the fine print "prepared by reverse osmosis". Ice Mountain is a brand that comes to mind- the store brand is usually like 60 cents a gallon. I buy two gallons a week, one for top-off and one for water changes.

Hope something here helps! Good luck-

Tasha

Archived