SaltCritters.com

Question... About LS . LR and lighting

Crumb

Ok, what kind of lights do i need to keep my LR / LS going?

The reason i ask is this. I have everything to begin my tank except my lights. I plan to do the regent MH 70W DIY thing. I would like to, in the mean time, while I wait for my bulb to ship and to find a cheap ballast on-line start the cycling process.

Is this possible? And what kind of lighting would you guys suggest? I have a few floresent strips hanging around i can use.

Tank size is 10gal. I plan to start off with 12lbs LS and 14lbs LR.

Thanks for any advice!

You don't need light to cycle but if you want to add something pick up a small flour. hood with a 50/50 bulb. If it were me, and had a MH coming, I'd just be patient. I've never run light for cycles anyhow....keeps the algae bloom from becoming a headache in the high nutrient load times in a cycle.

Cameron

Ive always run lights with my cycling, and Ive never had issues. Actually my cycling using takes less than 1/2 the amount of time that is 'normally specified'...

...you could cycle with your lights off, but it MIGHT slow benifical bacteria growth and such...its your call.

don't need light for bacteria growth. they use nutrients from die-off to feed themselves. i only used natural indirect light to cycle my tank. if your lr is of quality nothing to worry about.

Archived