Cultivated Reef

fish compatibility

kimmy

Is there any kind of cleaner organism that could saftly be put in with a black lion fish, panther grouper, porcupine puffer and snowflake eel that wouldn't become lunch?

I wouldn't try it but cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasses have been seen in the mouths of very large fish and eels, cleaning and eating parasites.  In the wild it works but in your tank?  I wouldn't want to waste money on that experiment.

Smokey Joe

Cleaner shrimp are a definite no-no.  The lionfish would likely eat it in a matter of hours if not minutes.  You could get away with the usual snail/hermit cleanup team but even then you would have to replace some here and there.

fishymissy

No, sorry. As Crakeur said I wouldn't waste my money and the animals lives on that.

Do you have a problem in your tank?

After reading Smokey Joes reply, I'm wondering if I have gotten the wrong impression. Are you talking about a parasite remover, or a clean up crew? If it's the clean up crew, then snails would be about it for your tank.

(Edited by fishymissy at 11:16 am on July 3, 2002)

the lionfish is the question mark to me.  i believe the others will accept a neon goby as a cleaner but i'm not sure about the lionfish.  do you have rocks for the goby or cleaners to hide out in?

that's one ornery tank you've got. :asthanos:

I'm not sure if I have a problem or if it is just a abrasion from one of the rocks but the panther grouper has a red mark on his skin that is showing through the outside of the gill on one side. He is eating fine but is pushing up against the eel and lion (of all fish to push up against) and appears to be tring to get them to clean him. I have snails and a little hermit that so far they are leaving alone because he hides in the rocks all the time. I think if I got a shrimp he would be a goner as soon as he hit the water but I wasn't sure about the gobbie or wrasse. These guys don't mess around when a frozen shrimp enters the water it is a race to inhale it and I don't think they would even take the time to notice the difference between a cleaner and a frozen.

i don't know why but 'inhaling' the shrimp had me laughing mbo. :biggrin:

maybe you can introduce the goby in a quarantine cage to acclimate its presence to the others.  i'm just favoring the goby because they're cheaper than wrasses here.  no need for your wolves to unnecessarily dine richly.

NEVER BUY A CLEANER WRASSE!!! Sometimes they can acclimate to other foods but in the wild they usually clean exclusively for their diet. A tank with an outbreak is promising in the short run, but what happens after that? Starvation, that's what. Unfortunately your other suggestions aren't appealing either. Cleaner shrimp will likely be gobbled up at some point and buying an "expendable" fish for so-called "what if" approaches is downright stupid IMO. ifyour panther grouper ails alone perhaps you should quarantine and treat it alone.

well, the wrasse may starve that's true and the shrimp's begging to be an hors d'ouerve but the goby's a good choice imo.  the tank raised ones will eat anything they can get besides performing their innate functions as a cleaner.

i just personally don't like dosing and enjoy watching the goby work.  whether your other fish allow that will depend more on their individual personalities.  it's a risk either way, stress vs. goby-food.  let us know what happens, good luck! ;)

fishymissy

No, the goby won't work. Not even with enough hiding spots. The lionfish will get him.

It doesn't sound like what your grouper has would be solved by a cleaner anyway......what I would do is,  keep up on the water changes, and watch that mark carefully. If it looks like white strands are coming from it, or the skin starts flaking off worse than it already is, then you will have to move the fish to a QT and treat it.

Good luck!

I think I will just ride it out for now. After watching him feed tonight I tend to think that it may just be a cut from one tof the rocks that he plows through to insure that none of the other fish have a chance to eat besides himself. The mark does look a little better tonight. He is spending a lot of time cuddled up to the lion in the rock cave and they swim around together so that might explain the mark also.

I had no idea about the wrasse, I would hate to starve the poor thing, thanks for the info. I will just keep watching him.

you would have marks too if you cuddled up with a lion fish!anyways, if it is a cut or scratch, watch for an infection around it.

Archived