inTank Media Baskets

Help! With identification

zamboniman

Not sure if I have some weird form of aptaisa or not. Looks just like one color and shape, but the arms have little fingers or hairs off of them. Kind of like a Xenia does.

Have tons of them... They are small no more than a quarter inch tall or less, and don't seem to be getting bigger like aptaisia. But they like to multiply and spread.

They definitly don't pulse like a xenia. And they grow in a connected line like fasion. You can't see this on the rock, but there are some growing on my back wall.... They are connected in a line by something like a string. Up till now I have just assumed it was a form of aptaisia, but I'm questioning that... Any ideas??? My pep. shrimp doesn't seem to go for em yet either... But he took care of the standard aptaisia.

Sorry no pic... The woman took the dig cam out of town.

Thanks,

Zman

BustytheSnowMaam

Could they be little hydroid jellyfish? They are about 1/4 inch in diameter and the best description I can give is to say they kind of look like little white suns, with the arms radiating out from the center. At some point in your tank's beginnings you will get a million of these creatures all over the walls, then eventually they will disappear as fast as they came. I just scraped them off when I had them.

Tasha

don't think so... Looks just like a aptasia except with little fingers jetting out of the arms... Almost twig like on a tree branch... And they seem to be remaining small. You have to look close to see the fingers

Tanks been up and going for about 2 years. A couple were there early on and now I have a farm of em all over.

They haven't caused any problems that I've noticed so far, but I don't want any problems either. So I thought I would run it passed everyone.

if they're interconnected via a line i'm stretching to say it's/they're maybe an erythropodium (sp?) coral. i think the 'line' or thin mat that connects them are called stolons? ??? so they're also referred to as such, i.e. stoloniferans (probably killing the spelling). X)

ime they grow about the same speed as gsp but slower than xenia and much slower than aiptasia.

do they close up at night? or the reverse?

i don't think they're hydroids as those are individuals whereas you said they're connected, i.e. colonial.

then again they could be something completely different ???

I've got the same type stuff multiplying in my tank - it sort of looks like very small hair combs with long handles. I believe mine to be some form of algae (like everything else in my freakin' tank).

Not sure about yours without a pic.

Ross

Do you have Gulf rock? I just had something that sounds similar to what you've described sprout from my Gulf-View rock last week. Do they have eight arms, and if you get too near them or squirt water at them with a baster, do they retract their tentacles? Mine are like that, and I'm pretty sure they're some kind of octocoral.

Steve

OK I finally got a pic.... It's not good because they are sooo small. I cannot get close enough to show the fingers in detail. But the top left arrow points out how they grow connected in a line.... And the other arrow points out a larger one that you can sort of make out the fingers on the arms.

Any thoughts?

I know this isn't very informative...but, I stopped by one of my LFS's today and saw exactly what it is you have in your tank (which is quite a coincidence, because I hadn't visited this site in months and months until this morning). Anyway, I asked the owner (a very knowledgable quality owner by the way) what it was. With his 30+ years of owning an LFS he said, "I don't know. It just started growing out of the rock and slowly started to grow "runners". It came out of a rock I know has been part of that reef for years. Anyway, if an old LFS owner has never seen it, it probably doesn't pop up too often.

Steve

There either some type of anemone or hydroid. I belive they are hydroids by the look of them but some anemones and hydroids are near impossable to tell apart by look. As long as you dont have dwarf sea horses, I cant imagene these being harmfull.

Oh, forgot. Those at my LFS were not anemones. They most closely resembled "waving hand" polyps. But they were smaller (and all nearly the same size like GSP), packed in a tight little group with "runners" going up into the water column as well as along other rocks which had lines of polyps on them as well.

Archived