ReefCleaners.org

True percula vs False Percula

MikeTa

Is it true that the only difference between a true percula and false percula is that the true percula often has black edged borders around its white bars, and the false percula doesn't have any black? I've read an article saying that, and I read another one saying something about counting dorsal fins. Which one is true? Does anyone have an easier way of explaining this?

There are many ways one is the black. Ocellaris have VERY LITTLE black while percs have alot more. Dorasl rays is another way good luck counting them. Breeding is also another way. I hear percual male dont tend eggs AS WELL as Ocellaris. Both are nice and will pair with eachother. Just a preferance of the amount of black i guess. O and Ocellaris clowns get 3 inches and percs get around 2.5-2.75 inches.

in addition to the black outline method, i do the PG13 "thong test"...

false perculas will have granny panties, the middle bar will be shaped like a triangle, or a "rounded out" triangle... and it will obviously look like "granny panties"

true perculas will have a more "Y" shaped middle bar, less of a triangle and the bar will seem to look like a "thong" as opposed to the triangular shaped "granny panties"... for the most part this holds true for most true perculas, although there are a few exceptions.

:D :D :D good luck, hope u know ur undies! muhahah

other than the thong thing the fact is that they can breed and produce fertile young, which in my books makes them the same fish (black people white people yellow people, they are all the same with different tans)

one difference is the number of spines on the dorsal fin, i would be interested to see how many there are on a percallaris

but then again folk that live in the Bauyoo for to many generations start growing extra digits (nb please do not take offence if you live in a bauyoo or are a child of inbreeding parents)

Originally posted by brianemone

but then again folk that live in the Bauyoo for to many generations start growing extra digits  (nb please do not take offence if you live in a bauyoo or are a child of inbreeding parents)

HEY!!! Stop steriotypeing people from Louisiana!!! We don't do that any more ;) Not for the past 100 years....Now Arkansas, that's a different story...:|

Archived