Top Shelf Aquatics

surge/flush device

shanebeall

I'm thinking about making a wave surge device for a tank I'm setting up. Would it also be able to work as a refugium, or would there be to much water flow? Does anyone have any on their tanks now?

wayyyy too much flow. plus the fact that most of the water empties out of the surge tank. actually, you might get away with it if you have only half of the tank volume leaving....but then you would have a fairly weak surge. i don't think too many nano's employ a surge as most surge's are a bit too large for our liking.

Its definatly possible to run a surge, just make sure your tanks overflow can withstand the surges. It would work as a fuge like yoshio said if a baffle was used to keep all the water from releasing. Instead of a surge how about a sump-fuge to put your heater, filter stuff, and frags?

Well, what I'm thinking...is a surge that will always have atleast 3-4" of whatever, enough to hold all the good things I need that I don't want to keep in the tank. My only concern would be any macroalgae I'd keep in there would get pulled out with the surge of whatever. Think a baffle would help with that? It's obviously something I need to work on before I decide, but I plan on upgrading the tank eventually, and would like to incorporate something like this into the design.

i've actually toyed with the idea of a surge system before... just know what you're getting into before you start. i'd try to get in touch with someone who has done it before. just remember that if ANYTHING goes wrong with the system, there could very easily be a lot of water on your floor. make sure you have an extremely reliable float switch, return pump, ect...

well, the way I figured it is like this:

I've got a 30XH tank. It's 24" tall. I want to maybe do a deep sand bed. That knocks five inches off that, we're down to 19".

If I only fill it with 16" or 17" of water, it leaves somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 gallons empty.

When I build a canopy, it'll cover up that empty space, so it'll still be aesthetically pleasing. Then my surge will only be 2 gallons at the most, so if anything ever does happen, it won't overflow onto the tank, it'll just fill the tank to the top.

My new concern is that...with a surge...if I use anything on the bottom of my tank, it is never going to settle. Will it be constantly knocking up the sand? If that's the case, I won't go with such a tall tank, but I still employ the same idea.

Again, like cadesun, I'm only toying with this idea and haven't done anything. Infact, the 30XH still has an electric blue Jack Dempsey and a albino clawed frog in it.

• 6 months later...

Archived