inTank Media Baskets

what's the point of cycling?

BigRed25X

if everything you started out with already has the perfect params whats the point of cycling? I had a ten gallon adn put fish, 2 hermits, and 2 snails in it the day i added everything and it has lived for several months with no signs of unhappiness. one of my hermits molted today so I mean cna someone please answer this for me.

if everything you had to start out with was already perfect mean they were already cycled. the sand and rocks were already cycled. Now go buy some uncycled rocks and sand and do the same thing and the end result might not be so pretty.

I wasn't trying to sound like I new it all but why doesnt everybody do this? then newbies wont kill everything in the first 2 weeks? just a thought.

well...newbies should still take the precaution in my opinion, and if they are to learn anything about the balance of their aquarium they should cycle their tank...cycling your tank is to get two bacteria at a level so that they can handle the bio-load of your fish and invertebrates...every time a fish/invertebrate is added you're bio-load changes...nitrosomonas bacteria converts ammonia to less harmful nitrites and nitrobacter bacteria converts nitrites to even less harmful nitrates... ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates should test at 0 before anything is added (that is after lr and ls is in the tank) if you cycle your tank even with liverock and livesand you will have a more stable tank when you add your first fish/invertebrate

It's still best to wait a bit. People don't do this because you get much better rocks when you buy uncycled and it's MUCH cheapter in most cases. I was just fine waiting for my uncured tongan to cycle and I love the colors and shapes that I got. The hitchikers are always fun to watch as well. ;)

At Garf.org they have a "bullet proof reef system" that follows the same principles. You use a lot of live sand some dead rocks and just soft corals in the beginning. I tried it in a 5.5 gal nano and it worked! It would be quite expensive to do in a larger tank considering live sand is about 5-8 dollars a pound.

live rock looks better than "dead/base" rock in my opinion... if you have sand that is not live it will eventually be "seeded" by the live rock anyway and if you have a sand bed that is too deep anaerobic (and thus harmful) bacteria can develop when detritus gets caught in the sand...whatever you do it is best to cycle your tank whether your live rock was "pre-cured" or not

live rock looks better than "dead/base" rock in my opinion... if you have sand that is not live it will eventually be "seeded" by the live rock anyway and if you have a sand bed that is too deep anaerobic (and thus harmful) bacteria can develop when detritus gets caught in the sand...whatever you do it is best to cycle your tank whether your live rock was "pre-cured" or not

BigRed sorry if i was offended u because that wasn't my intention. From my post i guess it came up a little strong. Sorry bro. Just tossing out my 2 cent.

Well... you DID cyle, just pretty much instantly... and NO everyone doesnt have the opportunity to do so, becuase they usually have to expose their rock to air while putting it in the tank, which at the very least cuases a small die-off.

one of my hermits molted today and when i saw it i kinda got mad at first but then realized it was just a molt...so they must be healthy enough and my set up without the stand and tank was roughly $100

Any new rock or sand you put in your tank can go through some level of a cycle. Theres just a lot that can contribute to wether it will be noticeable or not.

If you just bought some LR thats been sitting in a tank at your LFS, theres a chance it was basically cycled in their tank. Now, if you ordered online, and rock had to be shipped in, right to your tank, then you'd have more die-off, and deffinately a bigger cycle. My LFS keeps their LR in a tank with a Moray Eel (fun watching them get the LR back out :P), and usually doesn't have to replace too much rock at a time, unless a customer with a big tank comes in. This keeps all the rock cycled and results in not much of a cycle when you put it in your tank. When I bought my LR from Premium Aquatics, it was already cured, but still had some die-off from shipping, so a small cycle would be understandable.

Also, you didn't have much bioload in the tank to begin with, i.e. the 2 hermits & snails, so they wouldn't cause as large of a cycle to get the needed equilibrium of bacteria in the tank. If you bought uncured rock, loaded the tank with all your corals & fish right away, it would have been a disaster.

Archived