ReefCleaners.org

Remora on Nano Cube

snehls

I tried to post this on a different thread, but it go no attention, so I'm reposting it here in the hope someone can help me out...

I have a 12G Nano Cube DLX, and I am thinking about getting an Aqua C Remora. I know that is sorta overkill, but I have a Tubastrea that I feed frozen. I don't overfeed (I don't think), but I do have some algae. I think skimming would maybe make my life easier.

Any opinions one way or the other?

If I do get a Remora, all I have to do is cut small piece of my hood out for the tubing to get into the sump, correct?

The Remora is about 6 inches wide, so you would have to cut out a section of your hood that wide, because you need to fit the PH and the return spout into the back of the cube.

-Mike

• 1 month later...

i use one on my 24G, the problem with cutting the hood, is you have to cut into the light cover, and i personally did not want to do that. what i do is hang it on the front and run it overnight, then take it off in the morn. not really that big a deal, seems to work well for me.

-Mike

that is an interesting idea, and it might work especially well since i don't want to have it there permanently. and i'm not terribly keen on the idea of cutting my hood either. The problem though is that I have a firefish who likes to jump. Are you able to hang it on the front then almost fully close the front lid?

yep, i have a firefish too, the front closes about 1/2 way, but my firefish, hasnt jumped out yet!

-mike

Hey snehls,

I have a remora on my 12 gal Nano. I took the stock hood off long before I got the remora so the hood issue was not a factor. I put a coralife 96 watt quad on the tank for lighting purposes. If you get the hood issue taken care of, the rear compartment will have to be modified to hold the power head. I ordered mine with the maxijet 1200. I had to cut the top half of the middle divider out to make room for the power head. That was the only difficult part. The reason being that the center divider is molded into the rear wall of the tank. You have to be careful not to break the rear wall out, it flexes alot when you try to modify the divider. It would be alot easier to do this without any water in the tank, but I didn't have that option. If you get that taken care of the remora works great. I had alot of microbubbles in the tank till the skimmer was broke in. The tank looked like a can of shaken up 7-up. Now that the skimmer is broke in, it works great.

Hope this helps

Scott

how long did it take to break in? mine still expells bubles, but i've onlly been using it for a few days.

-mike

Hey mikedege,

Sorry about not getting back to you. Mine still expells a few bubbles, not much at all. It has taken about 1 month to get to that point.

Scott

I have heard of people drilling the side or back of the tank (black plastic area) for a fitting and hooking up a skimmer through that.

Havnt seen it in person so I dont know exactly what it looks like but maybe that helps.

Ryan Lada

Archived