Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reproducing (not propigated) coral

MDPinUSA

Sorry for the spam. This is an unusual photo and I would like to share it with fellow coral keepers.

This photo shows a piece of red polyp head coral that reproduced on a regular basis in 1975. This is believed to be the first successful reproduction of corals in a closed system that used 100% artificial sea water.

This coral was in a hobbyists 26 gallon aquarium. The aquarium had air driven undergravel filters. It used two flourscent lamps. The aquarium was next to a window that received natural light a few hours each day.

A 10% water change was made weekly using Marine Environment dual phase formula.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

Thank you. MDP

MDP in USA

With all of the blatant advertising that you're trying to do on the nano-reef board, how's about you start paying Chris some $$$ for ad space?

Maybe that way, you can set up a cool banner ad AND try to build up some moral credibility amongst the 2000 or so members of this board?

Stop treating us like we're idiots.

Head coral? Man, there's a vague term. I don't think there's any other coral common name that has been applied to a wider variety of coral species. Everything from sun coral (like the one in your spam) to cauliflower coral to favites brains. Let's call it what it is, a Tubastrea species, best known as sun coral or tube coral.

Anyway, it's impossible to tell from your shrunken-down image.... When you say reproduced, exactly what do you mean? Did it release its polyp into the water column? I mean, healthy colonial polyps, including Tubastrea, have successfully reproduced in aquariums through cloning/division as long as they've been in the trade. Tubastrea, infact, are one of the most water-quality tolerant corals available. Well-fed, they'll thrive in just about any condition, cloning and spreading. Maybe that's what you call propogation, but it's still reproducing.

As for dropping a polyp, if that's what you mean by reproduction, I have to admit I've never heard of Tubastrea doing that in any location, be it the open ocean, a natural sea water aquarium, or a synthetic sea water aquarium. As far as I knew, it wasn't a reproduction mode for them. So I am impressed to hear that it's happened, although I think the correlation to the type of water used was pure coincidence.

What's with the spamming? I've read a whole two posts of yours, and already I'm disturbed by their style and content.

he's advertising. Chris should make him ante up some cash or ban him for using the space as his own personal advertising machine.

Funny thing is, Chris posted in another section that he was using bio sea which, I think, is another one of their products and he didn't even post there.

mdp signed up fer a ad campaign, but there is a back log.

give um a break..... he is trying to post a discussion.

While it may have some spam (which we have talked about);)

his intentions are good. Give the dude a chance.

ya just might run him off board......X)

damn I just called the Kettle : Black.....LOL :D

Perhaps I might have to turn the stove on also ?

This is the message:

You are indeed an idiot!

I have already requested advertising space on this site.

Just in case you don't understand what is being offer.... --  Where else have you seen photos/documentation of reproducing corals.

Post back, don't bother.

MDP

I'd be REAL INTERESTED to see photos/documentation of reproducing corals, but a one page slicker does not documentation make. Something as amazing/noteworthy as that - and in a 26 gallon tank with UGFs and two flourescent bulbs - I'd LOVE to find the documentation to see how the hobbyist did it. Why, that'd be a great advanced topic.

So what I'm gonna do is buy me some Marine Environment Dual Phase formula, pull out the old UGF and airpump. Does anyone here know how I can get this miracle formula?

Yes, MDPinUSA, I am an idiot. Your power of perception has served you well.

And as an idiot, I'm completely SOLD on your product.:|

ajroahkni came out of the closet to add abslolutely nothing to the topic at hand.

And as an idiot, I'm completely SOLD on your product.:|

yer just an idiot. X)

errr as per Glazers;) quote of what I say...

STUPID STUPID STUPID>.

I wouldnt want to let it down..

sheesh.

ajaro what did MDP do to you? over charge you ? WTF?

FLAME FROM LEFT FIELD.

As far as the whole spam/advertising thing goes. So what....its just a couple of posts. If Chris thinks it has gone too far he'll yank it.

As far as the original post goes, I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is. Whats the difference between reproduction and propogation. I have yellow polyps, a new polyp grows off an older one attatched at the foot. The foot then separates. Now I have two independent polyps. Look, coral has reproduced. I have a xenia, I cut off a piece it grows, I have two xenia. reproduction, propogation, whatever, its been going on in tanks for years.

So I see this new post "Reproducing (not propagating) coral" and it's an advanced topic .

I think, WOW. Some hobbyist has figured out a way to "contain" the reproduction of a coral. Open the link to find that it's been done in a 26 gallon aquarium - with UGF!!! You gotta be intrigued.

So what's the process? Specs? Parameters?

---

"A 10% water change was made weekly using Marine Environment dual phase formula. Has anyone else had anything similar?"

---

What about the lighting modification? Current diffusion? Replication of specific natural phenomena? Visions of NGeo shows w/ coral shooting out eggs and sperm into the water column to fertilize and attach to the substrate, and how the heck this was done in a 26 gallon setup?

I was looking to catch a glimpse at genius, and ended up just looking. And getting ####ed about it.

MDPinUSA: Such a wonderful thing, why not follow through with sharing your knowledge of it?

MDPinUSA's sprouted evil head: Dave, where's the love? :*( You're so much better being blatant Dave, why demean yourself this way?

John

MDP, in response to your question, yes we have experienced coral reproduction in our tanks. I am not referring to simple divison such as many of us have experienced, i.e. zooanthids adding new polyps and sprouting up new colonies , our Blastomussa merletti (one of which has gone from a single polyp , to over 20 polyps in 14 months) and Euphyllia paradivisa (branching frogspawns) which are always dividing, and many others. instead I am referring to new corals actually being formed. Both of our frogspawns have been and are producing completely new corals along the skeleton, near the tip of the coralite,and we have a Fungia (plate coral) that is budding off a new coral as well.

One of the things I really love about reefkeeping is how young it makes me feel because there is always something new and amazing to be seen.

ps. can we pleaseget this back online, keep the discussion positive and let Chris police the board, I am sure he is more than capable of doing that.

Dave, the reason why people are upset is because the post is made as tho it is a regular on the board just posting some information. Like the posts MDP made in the other sections that showed pictures of his tank which were really just the magazine ads. don't disguise the fact that you are advertising by posing as a nano reef member. Besides, Chris needs those advertisers to keep the site running (and to keep him from begging the real users for cash). Why should MDP get free advertising and coral dynamics doesn't?

He should have hoined the forum to HELP people not advertise. Every single one of his posts has been an advertisement and no one is interested, dosen't he get it?

I believe that he should keep his advertising to his site, which he calls people thickheaded on, and not spam it on message boards that are for people with questions and for them to be helped.

Someone, not to mention names, posted an advertisement on RC and was banned after complaints. I think this should be taken in consideration.

Due to lack of information in his posts they are they are nonsensical to read and drive people away.

I hope he has learned from the peoples posts and will stop calling people names they are not, as I have seen and heared people talk about.

MDP, I remember the way you treated me in the Aquarium Chat on AOL, it was very rude. I hope you can become a more helpful person to these boards!

Rock Anemone:D

Archived