inTank Media Baskets

Stands / Cabinet Units from Target

scottd34

I want to move my 10 gal to a nice cabinet unit, like the ones you get at Target. I had my 10 gal on an old table, but it was mostly metal so it held just fine. Eventually it may hold a 20 or 30 long.

My concern is this, exactly how much weight will some of these things hold? I see some people put 20L's on target furniature, but which ones? I want to stay away from tables and iron stands since we have a baby coming and those are easy to pull down eventually....

Also, the particle board, or whatever they use, isnt that not the best to use due to warping when you put a lot of weight on it?

why don't you try calling the manufacturer? i've done that before, not on a stand though. We installed hardwod floor on our family room so i called pergo to ask what's the maximum safe load. they were very helpfull. about the particle board i wouldn't use it as a stand because it's gonna swell once it gets wet. goodluck dude

thats why i wasnt impressed with some of the aga stands.. they look like particle board. either way, i think i will take a look at the furniture consignment shop .. i would think a wood cabinet or table would hold up to at least a 20L just fine. Any thoughts?

ya, most furniture dosent give weight limits, which is the issue im running across.

I found a pine stand at petco that will be perfect for a 30l for $75.. i think ill just get that and call it a day =) besides, wife dosent seem to mind me getting a bigger tank now =)

i used a target kitchen cabinet for my 20L. can actually hold a bigger tank than the 20L. also recently set up a 10g tank with sump for curing lr on a ikea stand (particle board). no problems yet. however kind of too tall, because it puts everything at eye level.

Most of the stands they sell with the tanks at most pet stores are particle board anyway. Even for tanks in the 50 gallon range. I have a cheapo Target TV stand. It probably isn't meant to hold a 30 gallon tank and 10 gallon sump. BUT, there are these magical things called brackets. I put 8 big metal brackets ($2 a piece at Home Depot) That really helps the support. Water getting into particle board does worry me though, because I have had some spills.

a problem with tall stands is that if the sump is on the bottom, you'll need to a strong pump for the big head. the target kitchen cabinet has a solid surface top and legs, not particle board. the top is a little suspect because i've noticed that it isn't completely flat, very minor warping probably from green wood. however, won't stop me from getting another one.

Cool, ETOH. That was the one I was looking at. you can safely ignore the pm i sent, i sent it before i read your post.

I was going to do a 20L with a 10 gal sump.. i assume the back is wood as well? I guess its time to bust out the drill!

Kitchen Cabinet

i bot one from target, pics in my profile. i have been very happy with it, but i dont' see it on their website now. it has room underneath for storing water, refractometer, etc. the height is great, and if feels pretty sturdy. just took a while to set it up tho.

Archived