Cultivated Reef

Orchid Dottyback

Mnesarchus

I love these dottys and think you'll be fine with one. They are territorial, but mostly against their own species. With a good amount of rockwork, it'll probably hide at first, then quickly strike a balance with your existing clown. Even once they've worked out an agreement, though, understand that the dotty will probably spend a lot of time in the rock caves, poking in and out. Personally, I find this behavior cute, but some people are disappointed when they don't get to see much of such a pretty fish.

Of course, all specimins are different, and it's up to the personalities of the dotty and the clown to determine exactly how things will end up, but this is the msot likely case. With a TR clown and a TR dotty, though, the odds of open-water happines are much higher.

As for feeding, they eat pretty much the same as the clowns. Any small meaty foods will do, and they'll usually become quickly adapted to meaty flakes. I'd use Formula One or something similar for both fish.

my dottyback loves a treat of ghost shrimp or guppies onece a week and they can be very territorial towards other fish.

Archived