inTank Media Baskets

uh oh...jellyfish?

imafishboy

hey guys i'm kinda of scared of these things i found all over the acrylic. i remember i saw this before and mb it was a jelly fish..but wht should i do about these things?

Yep, it is a hydroid jellyfish. Everyone I know has had them... but strangely enough they tend to be short lived. I saw some for about a month in my most recent tank. I've never noticed any real adverse affects from them while they are in there.

this is another thing i found, wht could it be? is it anything? it has seemed to shot out tenticle things out the ends, ya see?

hydroids are not really jellyfish i think. they are hydras. they have many life stages. they are stingers but do not affect most reef fish. ya may want to get some limpets. they are great at eating these guys up.

The first pic is of a common hydroid that comes in on LR. They are harmless, except to fry, then they are EVIL. Like javi said they are not true jellyfish. Although some hydroids and jellyfish have the same life cycles they are not the same.

The second pic could be a foram (foraminiferan).

the orange thing seems to a cm long

and the camera i'm using is the sony one with 5.1 mp. its called the sony cybershot? nobody seems to like it, but i do. :

btw, i took those shots in "magnifying glass mode"...lol

Archived