inTank Media Baskets

For all of you looking to buy HOB refugiums.

junglejim83

If i remember correctly those hob fuges are expensive. I made a 7 g behind the tank(supports it on weight b/c thats alot of weight couldnt hang on my 10 g) for about 40-50 bucks. Basically i sepearate the motor compatment from an aquaclear mini as well as the spill over spout thing then i got 1/4 in plexi glass and made a tank as high as the mini would sit above the tank. Then i cut space for the motor to pump into the fuge and then one for the spill over back into th tank and glued them in place. Basically its a aquaclear mini with a 7 g filter chamber. Its been running great for about 7 months now. The reason i did this was that i did not feel comfortable plubing stuff around my tank, although i'm good at making stuff i dont know all about the overflow and pump rate stuff so i thought this up and tried it. Probably the biggest reason i liked trhis is if the power goes out and you keep the water level right where the plastic on the top of the tank meets the glass there are no worries about it overflowing only about .25-.5 in of water syphon back in to tank.

Jim

PS just thought this could be a good alternative if you can DIY it add a whole lot more water to your system then any of those HOB can. Now my system is 17 g instead of 10 g. I have about 20-25 lb of LR 10 lb of LS, and 10lb of LR rubble in the refuge. Oh and i so much spcae left in the refuge i'm thinking of growing my own lr so eventually Ill have a 10 g with 50-60 lb of live filtration. and i have plent of space in the main tank.

I remember you telling me about the fuge you built, didn't know you basically just added a big trunk to an AC. Good idea. You added just the AC's pump or the whole little pump compartment part? I'd like to see a pic of this monster if you have one. How are those funky maroon and silver zoos doing?

Archived