ReefCleaners.org

what do you use?

chodaboy

hey guys just wanted to here what kind off additives people recomend on buying, for a fairly easy coral sytstem? What do you guys use (besides salt)?

Water.

Seriously, though. I have two tanks. One (10g) uses no additives. It does well, but the alk can get pretty low. Some corals are growing, some seem to be in stasis. I would still call tyhe tank a success, just nothing to brag about. My 5g I treat with b-ionic. I've only had livestock in it for a little over a month, including a rose bubble-tip anemone, but I've gotten very positive results so far. The algae has been a non-problem, and my green hammer coral is beginning to form skeletal walls between its three mouths.

I'm fairly hooked on the stuff, and if everything continues to go well in the 5g, will start using b-ionic on the 10g as well.

kent's coral accel and tech Iodine. b-ionic user as well (just started lunchbucket's recommended dosages :P ). i dose iron for my macroalgae's benefit. gonna also probably re-start mg dosing.

B-ionic is a two-part additive. The first part is for alkalinity, the second for calcium. Because calcium and alk are very intertwined, it's important to keep them balanced. Kalkwasser is a very good addittive, but only if added correctly. B-ionic, and similar products, just make the job much easier. No dripping, and very balanced.

As for other trace elements, people add too many to their tanks as it is, especially if they're using synthetic saltwater. I don't worry about anything else, although b-ionic does have a very small amount of other compounds in it.

They don't say specifically, but draw your own conclusions from the bottle ingredient lists:

Alk Component: Carbonate, sodium, bicarbonate, sulfate, borate, flouride, iodide, molybdate, vanadate, selenate

CA Component: Barium, bromide, calcium, chloride, chromium, cobalt, copper, iron, lithium, magnesium, manganese, nickel, potassium, rubidium, strontium, zonc.

Heh, I never noticed the lithium before. No wonder my fish is so happy.

Obviously, you see things on the list that are a little less-than-desirable, like copper. Unfortunately, I cannot find any description of the concentrations. It could be extremely trace (and I would guess so, considering the number of reef tanks using the product).

Matthew

yeah, the copper concerns me too. especially since it's listed right in the middle. normally ingredients are listed in order of concentration but b-ionic just has it alphabetical. ??? i would love to have a concentration listing like kent does.

i still prefer the b-ionic over kent tho. i used kent's for a couple of years but the coralline really took off when i switched to b-ionic.

sorry, chodaboy. mk had mentioned earlier that he was talking about the two-part solution. i was just agreeing with the copper statement and spouting gibberish. :P

Calcium supplementation.

Two ways. Use calcium hydroxie (kalwasser) dosing or calcium chloride (so called B-Ionic or two bottle solution stuff) duo.

I use the DIY calcium chloride duo. You can make your own.

Get 1000 grams flaked or powerderd Calcium chloride. Now get around 750grams sodium bi-carbonate (that's the second solution in the dual b-ionic mix) or more commonly called Baking Powder.

Get two sterile 1.5 liter plastic bottles (thick ones) or colored glass bottles. Use those with a big bottle opening as you will put in the poweder/flake inside. Use two 1 liter of DISTILLED WATER and pour each into the two bottles. In one bottle place the calcium chloride, be careful as it gets warm. after placing all the calcium flakes shake it then let stand uncovered for about 4 hours. In the separate bottle place the baking soda. Shake it and CLOSE IMMEDIATELY. Store both in a dark cool place.

How to use:You can put the calcium liquid into a water top off or place them into water (fresh of course) you use to top off. Separately you put a similar amount of the soda liquid to your tank (if you put 30ml of the calcium liquid, you also put 30ml of the soda liquid).

Amount: Better if you have a calcium test kit and a pH test kit. I use twice a week 30ml of the two solutions dosed using the water top off (two separate dosing). 10ml for every water volume including sumps.

Warning:You must monitor at least once a month your pH. And you NEED a trace mineral, strontium and iodine supplement.

I use Tropic Marin Strontium Supplment Plus once a week as it already has Trace Minerals with it. Seachem Iodide Plus for the Iodine (or use Lugols Solution, 20 drops per 30 gallons).

Hope this helps...

also check out www.nano-reef.com/reiple

Archived