Top Shelf Aquatics

Ideas for a 2.5 gallon

Korbin

I wanted to run some ideas past you guys before I go and do this. I have a 3 gallon that has been running perfectly for almost a year. The problem - its an acrylic eclipse tank and algae scraping is a pain. So I let the algae go and the tank looks like crap.

So I found a small 2.5 gallon glass tank and I plan to transplant everything from my 3 into that and use a magnetic scraper for aglae. I would keep it real simple with 1 coral like green star polyps or something.

My idea is to use plexiglass or something with holes in it and make a divider within the tank. On one side I would put macro aglae, and on the other I would have the display rock with the coral on it. So about 1/3 - 1/4 of the tank is like a little refugium.

Could I just use silicon sealant to put the divider in? Any tips, suggestions? Has anyone done this?

silicone wont hold plexi very well. yer better off getting a piece of glas cut and siliconing it in. the plastic WILL hold, as it is only a 2.5 gal tank and has not that much waterpresure pushing on it.

it is MUCH easier to tool plastic and drill it than glass also..LOL.

I have a few 2.5 gals. I like using DJ100 Duetto internal filters.

they can be easily hid benind rocks and used horizontaly.

The silicon sealant I have says that its not for aquariums. I dont know if this is because its not gauranteed to hold, or if it's dangerous to aquatic life. Any ideas? What should I use to hold the divider?

Personally, I'd not bother tooling the divider and jsut go with glass. Make it a little shorter than the aquarium walls, and just let water overflow over the top of it. If you don't want the sound of the overflow, you can use a u-tube over it instead.

CJM I have NFC what you are talking about.

lay off the KFC man.X)

Silicones are all different. ID recomend ya find an AQ safe one.

GE makes a decetone called SILICONE 2 and Allglass makes a hobby version also. Black or clear.

Archived