inTank Media Baskets

How much is to much??

willmsbrg

I was wondering how much Live rock is to much? I am setting a 20gallon high tank up and was wondering if 50lbs. of rock would be to much... Also I managed to find some southdown sand, and curious about how deep of a sand bed I can get away with...

I am also wondering if the Remora skimmer with the 1200 pump is a good choice?

Thanks

As far as keeping your nitrates down and making your critters happy - the more the merrier. You only need enough rock to support the amount of life in your tank. A 100 gallon tank with 15 fish needs more rock than a 100 gallon tank with 1 neon goby.

But if you ask me, too much liverock looks bad. Simple, well thought out tanks with just enough rock are the best, in my opinion.

its all up to you. I try fer 2 # per gallon on smaller tanks. The Caribian manmade and some shelf rock is heavier than others, so it all depends on the aquascaping. I generaly fill it to the 1/2 way mark on a tank and then add some upper branchy or smaller sections to give it some linear depth of field.

look in members tanks section to get some ideas.

Think I will stick with 2lbs per... : so at least sometime in the future I can add a few softies... though at this point I haven't done much research into what and from whom... since this will be my first tank.. I have been reading and reading and reading...

:D

50# for a 20 gal tank is somewhat too much. sometime you have to take into consideration of the amount of volume the rock would take up instead of the weight of the rock.

Minimum of 1-2lb/gal of LR. The more porous the rock, the less you need because each piece weighs less. IME its best to keep it off the glass so that you can adequately clean the glass and get to fallen objects between the rock and the glass. There are some hobbiests who believe that a sandbed in a 20g tank has insufficient surface area to work well as a filter. Basically, it is primarily there for aesthetic reasons and to provide a home for sandbed critters. No need to make it particularly deep. Use finer sand if possible as it means less chance of detritus percolating down to the bottom glass.

I was wondering.. I bought 2 bags of southdown yesterday... didn't want to take the chance of not finding it next time.. I will use some in this tank.. and seed with some live sand.... I haven't decided on Rock specifically though I think I am going with Pamletto reef for the rock and sand...

i agree with hubu, volume is the key. weight is a rough determinant really better used for our larger reef cousins than a nano imo. for a nano you can afford to go to a lfs and cherry pick (or should be, this is an expensive hobby :*( ).

Archived