Pod Your Reef

starting a nano reef

majic051

I currently have a freshwater 10 gal. and a larger fresh water tank i want to turn the 10gal. into a nano reef but i havent ever done salt and i dont know what i need or have to have

please help!:happy:

imo best thing to do is buy one of the popular reef books. tullock's my favorite basic book. goldstein's good too if you're still undecided between reef or FOWLR. calfo's good but a little advanced imo but good ideas! those are the good affordable ones to start with imo.

i think that way's quicker than lurking and learning from the ground up. the books go over everything step by step. good luck! ;)

printerdown01

Here are some things to look into before you start:

Live rock

Live sand

Lighting requirements of coral

Cycling the tank

...The first step is deciding WHAT you want to house. This is the hardest part, and is often left for last. However, it is imperative to perform this task first!...

I know this is the thing everyone wants to leave for last, but have a general idea what you want to keep in the tank and you will be MUCH happier in the end! As for books... I know that it is expensive, BUT "The Reef Aquarium" by Sprung and Delbeek is hands down the best book on the market in my opinion!! I have a dozen fish books, and this is one of two that I brought with me to college (the other one came with me only because I hadn't finished reading it yet :) ). This book will pretty much go over EVERYTHING you could ever imagine... It is perfect for both the advanced and the beginer. Another great source: THIS BOARD! I WISH there was something like this when I jumped into the hobby. -Perhaps I could have learned from the mistakes of others and thus wouldn't have had to make them myself, lol. There are houndreds of threads regarding 10 gallon tanks on here... check them out, read about their equipment, problems, and inhabitants :happy: . Let us know if you have any questions in particular!!

OK, im goin to the lfs today to see if i can find that book and im gonna check out what stuff i want to have (fish and inverts) thankx for oyure help ill let you know what i find bye, :P

Tetra press: The Marine Aquarium - by Dick Mills

Clownfishies- by Joyce Wilkerson

Book of Coral Propigation- by: Anthony Calfo

The New Marine Aquarium- by: Mike Paletta (so basic I hate it)

Just in case you're thinking a nano-reef would be a good use for a spare 10 gallon tank, realize that this is going to cost you a lot of money.

Let me say that again.

It will cost you a lot of money.

Unless you have a way of getting lots of stuff for free, you will not spend less than $300 on a ten gallon nano, and probably more like $500. That said, if you are ready to fork over that kind of dough, it is absolutely worth every penny (or at least it has been for me for the short time I've been doing it).

On the other hand, if that sounds a bit steep and you're itching to do something cool with your 10 gallon, consider a Lake Tanganyika shelldweller tank: Desktop Cichlids

Hey, don't underrate freshwater! B)

Steve

Archived