SaltCritters.com

Pics Of My 28 Bow!

Guest AbSoluTc

Guest AbSoluTc

Ok, here are some pics of my 28 bow.  It has a built in overflow, Little Giant pump for movement, 3" of southdown and around 15lbs of LR.  Enjoy!

tank1.JPG

blueshroom1.JPG

blueshroomclose.JPG

redshroom.JPG

xenia.JPG

burchin.JPG

Enjoy!

fishymissy

Great pictures!

I really love the urchin one though....that is too cute with the little polyps and all on it's back!!

I have been planning a bigger tank and I think it will be a 28gal bowfront.What lighting are you using?Can you post a list of what your using and what lives in your tank?Thanks.  

Guest AbSoluTc

Yes the urchin is reef safe.  I had to have him because of the way he collects things and attaches them to himself.  Really cool guy.

Lighting is:

2x45w T5 - 65k bulbs

1x45w T12 - 03 bulb

I will be switching these bulbs out to 2x 150w HQI.

I will get a front tank shot up in a few and a pic of the lighting.

Inhabitants are as follows :

25 or so stalks of xenia

yellow polyps, spreading quickly too

green/brown button polyps

blue shrooms

red shrooms

rose anemone

pom pom xenia

emerald crab

clown fish

I added 2 peppermint shrimp, however I don't think they are alive anymore because I have not seen them since I added them.  They were only 1/2 big, if that.

I did some rock arranging a few weeks ago - here is a before - my back is not painted yet, and I use aluminum foil over my pendendt sytle hood :)  Im to cheap to pay for a hood !

FullTank.JPG

Remember - that is a  BEFORE picture :)

The tank looks much better now.

How about a full tank shot - new one this time :)

I would love to see the full tank.

PS, do you know the scientific name of that urchin?  I wouldnt mind one of those in my tank :)

doesn't that urchin eat all your coraline algae? i thought urchins were not typically kept in reef tanks because of thier coraline grazing habits.

Urchins often do graze on coralline algae, however this seems to stimulate coralline growth.  Possibly because as they eat it, tiny frags of coralline move around the tank and re-attach on other pieces of rock.

I had a small urchin for a year in a 40, and never had a problem with it depeleting my coralline.  However, I don't know whether growth could keep ahead of coralline grazing in a nano.  It would probably depend on your tank size, and how much LR you have.

Guest AbSoluTc

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't particularly want coralline growing on my tank, the glass anyway.  Makes things look dirty and more work for me.

The urchin, as far as I know, is being good.  If he eats it, good - lunch for him.  If not - doesn't matter.  Either way hes a good guy.  

Yes they are known to eat it, however in larger tanks, the impact they make is minute.

Archived