Cultivated Reef

Marine Flatworms: Polycladida

Mulm is the word

Mulm is the word

Considering their fraility and enfeebled anatomy, tendency to autolyse when stressed and all else attendant, Does anyone know whether these beatific marine flatworms (order: Polycladida) adapt well to aquarium-life? If so, are they widely available or only through obscure or personal sources? Are they a fastidious and considerably troublesome pet to maintain and care for? et cetera...

took me about 2 minutes to search this out on google.

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/...297/0297_5.html

"A number of the particularly attractive and large polyclad worms are generally benign tank inhabitants worth considering, however. These worms ( Pseudobiceros and Pseudoceros in particular) can reach about 2-3 inches in length and the colors of some species rival those of the infamous nudibranchs. These free-living tropical reef species typically are generally frilled, and they can use these frilled edges of the body to swim by muscular contraction in an undulating flight that has to be seen to be truly appreciated. They occasionally appear for sale in petshops (often mistakenly identified for sale as nudibranchs), and should survive in a well established and stocked reef aquarium. Most are predatory scavengers, making a living by capturing the small polychaete worms and tiny crustaceans found in detrital accumulations. Although still a shy group of animals by nature, these larger species can occasionally be seen cruising around the aquarium during the day, or even swimming around the aquarium from time to time."

Mulm is the word

Oh wow. that about strikes the nail directly on the head. I'm sorry to have seemed as if I didn't do my homework, which to a certain extent is true. I don't mean to idly rely on others to fish up information for me, but I had kind of reserved that question for the forum as a sort of initiation question, I'm new here, and a newbie overall. Nonetheless, thank you so much!

no worries. some of the worms are quite stunning, i just don't know how well they would react to a nano environment(plus the dangers involved with living in a tank...powerheads, filters, etc.).

• 3 years later...
no worries. some of the worms are quite stunning, i just don't know how well they would react to a nano environment(plus the dangers involved with living in a tank...powerheads, filters, etc.).

I know that this is an older thread, but for those who have the same question...

I have had a Polycladida flatworm in my 36bow tank now for almost three years. It seems to be very hardy, quite shy and good cleaner. When I first spotted it years back it was about 0.5 inches and has since grown to about 3+ inches. Due to its coloration, it is difficult to spot on live rock---even if it is out in full light. Because of that, it is always exciting to actually see it out and about. I have not experienced any fish nor coral loss from it. I believe mine to be this unnamed specimen: http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flat0141.jpg

From what I have read on the internet over the past few years, having a Polycladida in a smaller nano environment might prove to be difficult, simply due to feeding/grazing issues.

Archived