inTank Media Baskets

what is this digging in my monti??

willgr1

just picked up this montipora the other day, got a good deal cause it is browned out. yesterday i noticed this long bulge going up one of the branches and another on the back side of another branch. what is it?

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

it looks like it is actually underneath the flesh, it's this red thing that moves in and out of the hole, i tried to suck it out with a suringe but it backed farther into the hole

It could be one of the Monti-eating nudi's that are running around right now.....search over at RC and you'll get all the info you need.

FWIW, I'd wait until nighttime and try to grab it with some tweezer and flush it!!!

i've looked into those and tried to pull it out...from what i've seen it looks bigger than the nudis and everytime i get to the front of the hole it draws way back into it so i can't get it.

any other suggestions?

nope, never comes all the way out..

you suggested a tube snail, i do see antennas like on the snails coming out of the top hole, as show in the pic. i pulled the corals out a few minutes ago, the area the holes go through are hard, not soft, so i think it's actually into the skeleton of the coral. but the things only come to the opening and never out, they are red, and retreat into the holes whenever i come near the with anything. and i think the tubes are getting longer, but i really can't tell.

ewww! Those things, are creepy! I would stick something in the hole, such as a thin wire, and try to stab the thing. It dosen't seem to be anything helpful, so you might as well get rid of it. Just a suggestion.

-T

look for a mucus web coming from them. it seems like they are tube snails. They can't be eating the coral because the polyps are out, so if something was irritating it, it would appear to be very stressed. Though I don't really know how to get rid of them...

if you stag the thing in the holea nd it die wont it decompose and hurt the coral??? Just try a dip of some kind. If there's one there will be others and stabbing all of them will take forever.

FRESH WATER DIP. Also if I had to guess I would say that the monti you bought was half dead at one time and is or has made a come back over a dead skelleton which was subsequently inhabited my tube worms after the 1st die off.

Originally posted by SaltyDawg

FRESH WATER DIP. Also if I had to guess I would say that the monti you bought was half dead at one time and is or has made a come back over a dead skelleton which was subsequently inhabited my tube worms after the 1st die off.

it's possible, it is about a 6" piece.

i have bought half dead corals before, i usually frag off the dead parts and the corals always seem to do quite well, kinda like this one, it's browned out, i think it will regain some color in a few months and look really nice.

how long do you suggest the freshwater dip for?

Wow people are overreacting, IMO.

Its just the red mini-dusters. The worst they will do is... well nothing.

I'd just leave everything as it is.

Nah if it dosent like its new home it will move to another spot on the coral and dig out a new one leaving spots where it previously was. You already know I am freakishly paranoid about my corals any ways BK LOL!!!!

If I was going to do a dip I would only dip it for around 30-45 seconds or so. MAKE SURE THE WATER IS THE SAME TEMP. ( and dechlorinated)

Agreed with BK and Phergus...these types of things happen to corals on reefs all the time...they play host to all sorts of crytofauna. Enjoy the beauty of nature...and don't risk fouling the coral...

Cheers,

Fred

They're not mini dusters. They're tube snails - pretty much harmless but the mucous "web" is pretty ugly. But take a look at the third (bottom) picture - you'll see the mucous strand trailing off from the snail to the upper left.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

update is....the worm looking thing climbed all the way up to the top of my coral, and i had huge die off around the areas of the worm things. i'm gonna frag off the pieces that are still good and trash the rest.

i'm did frag off a piece that the other worm was on and tried a freshwater dip with it....the damn worm lived through the dip, the rest of the fragged piece did not.

oh well, i'll still get a few good size peices out of the coral when i frag it.

Archived