Pod Your Reef

Ocellaris at night?

Bobalouy

I've had 2 Ocellaris Clowns for about 3 weeks now. I don't have anything in the tank for them to really host yet, except a gsp, but they don't even go near it. So at nite they have been huddeling in the front corner almost digging a hole in the sand. I didnt think too much of this but this morning, while the lights were still off, the larger of the two, was basically laying on the sand, I though he/she was dead. But he was breathing fine. and the smaller one was hovering next to him. Then when the lights came back on, they both perc up and swim around like crazy.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Anthony,

I have had a Bubble tip anemone with my clowns ever since I introduced them into the tank, but I can give you some insight on what I have observed.

My clowns will actually lay, almost motionless in the anemone at night or during day naps. They really sleep hard once the lights go off so don't be worried if they wake up only when the lights come on. I also find that the smaller clown sleeps less than the larger female.

As long as they wake up and assume normal behavior you should be fine!

It's not unusual for them to lie down while sleeping. When my ocellaris sleeps, it lies sideways near the top of the tank, tucked up against the powerhead.

mine sleeps next to my brain coral at the bottom corner-right on top of the sand- when he's in a deep sleep (this is too funny), he's almost motionless- waving back and forth trying to keep uprigth int he current... its all good!

Mine has usually digs slightly in the sand and then he'll sleep in his "bed" usually he leans against the glass, but sometimes he is nearly on his side sleeping.

Nothing to worry about. :)

Thank you, I guess I have never seen a fish sleep like that befor, Mine leans up against the glass too.

I am going to try to find some kind of coral for them the host in this weekend. I have a nano-cube dx with the stock lighting so no anemones now. Any suggestions on a hardy coral that they might like?

I have been looking at:

Hairy shrooms

Torch

and hammers.

Thanks

I would go with a hammer definatly the nicest out of your selection JMO. It is quit normal for fish to sleep like that. My clown loaches do it also. I wouldnt be too worried.

Im notdead set on one of those three I was just naming some of the ones that I have read might work. I am open to any other suggestions.

my bak pak turns off with my lights on the timer, as the veturi is kinda loud... so the skimmer emptys out to the tank water level, and my one perc sleeps in the 90 degree pvc exhaust tube. . . its pretty funny. theres no way he can swim into the skimmer. . . I hope, but its still funny.

also, when the lights fire up in the morning, my clowns eyes have gold rings around them, and sometimes they swim around like they cant see, bumbing into stuff.

Originally posted by Newby-Reefer

whats ur lighting so we can help you out?

Just the Stock Nano-cube DX 48 watts. I dont want anything crazy just something simple. I was going to goto the store today, but we got more damn snow last night, lol.

Thanks

Spitfire they cant see because the light is too bright. I would go out to UFA or walmart and buy a 15 watt ballast and rig in a actinic light to turn on a hour even half hour before you main lights so that the clowns slowly can get used to the light. How do you like it when u go from sleeping in a dark room to bright light all of a sudden not too much eh.

• 2 weeks later...
Pinrod Urkish

Mine host this weird rock durring the day, then at night is sleeps near the surface next to the powerhead. I tried corals but they either got eaten or fizzled away.

i have the nano og with the 24 watt 50/50 and mine kicks off i have two blue leds that are a moonlight for me and my clown never stops swimming from what i have seen. you guys talk about yours sleeping in the sand mine is in the water never stops moving. think this is bad, he seems to be doing great.

i had a second clown but he died on me, been thinking of getting another one. i also have a four headed torch in my tank, the thing has grown like a weed in the past few weeks. the clowns that i am getting are ora, (tank raised) my lfs has told me that tank raised clowns possibly will never host anything. mine haven't hosted my torch yet

Archived