Coral Vue Hydros

Black pearl algae?

the nano guy

Ok, the picture is not that clear. I will try again and hopefully give you a better picture next time.

My wife calls this a "black pearl". It is about 1/4" wide like a black peral, only it is transparent (kind of). Wife described this to a LFS and the guy said it is a bad algae. I'd like to hear what you guys/gals say about this thingy.

Thanks!

Valonia, aka bubble algae.

Yes it can be a pain, getting rid of it after it really takes hold can be a challenge. Try to remove it without popping the bubble, which will spread spores.

I agree w/ the above - once you have it - it's hard to get rid of b/c if you break the bubble, it releases thousands of "seeds". best way is to remove the rock and carefully take the bubble off - if you break it, wash down the rock w/ some fresh tap water (you have city water w/ chlorine? :D - that would take care of it )

If you leave it, it can grow around the base of your corals and prevent them from growing and encrusting on the rock.

-Nick

jenniebutterfly

wow that is one big valonia lol, i got my first one and a snail knocked it off the oyster it was on, and it floated under my rockwork, i really need to find that thing. :)

I've seen a few thanks that are over run with it. One even had coraline algae encrusting on the bubbles. Some of the bubbles were bigger than the pic above... judging by the polyp sizes in the pic.

Hmmm... I've got 4 bubbles, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. They've been there since I set up the tank 2 months ago, and are getting encrusted. I assumed that's why they were called "pearls" :D. I've read that they're pests, but mine aren't spreading so I've let them be. I think they're pretty. Mistake?

A better picture!

It is actually darker than the picture shows, and it is kind of transparent. It really does not like the bubble algae pictures I find on the web (mostly green color). May be it is one rare bubble algae?

By the way, are those tube worms on my LR?

jenniebutterfly

it is bubble algae, in my lfs it looks silver, but that is what you have, pluck it out if you can without popping it, if you pop it, get an emerald crab. you can also syphon it out with your next water change which would be the best thing to do. and yes those are tube worms or feather dusters :)

Archived