Cultivated Reef

Remove Skilter? And go with Eheim HOB

Tankers

When I bought my tank it came with a modified skilter 250 which I knew nothing about. The longer I have it the more I don't like it. It has been running for a month and it hasn't even collected 1/8 inch of gunk and the gunk isn't dark it is almost clear. I have a extra Eheim liberty HOB that moves 200 gph. Could I use this instead my tank is a 7 gallon bowfront AGA with about 15 pounds live sand and eight pounds live rock. The only things in it are one tank raised percula clown and a cleaner shrimp. I have the CSL smartlight on order and when it comes in I'm going to try my first coral.

Should I go without a skimmer? It doesn't seem to be skimming anything as it is.

How many of you go skimmerless?

Any problems I should be aware of doing this?

I read many accounts with those who go skimmerless.

Usually its seems to go quite well.  Your tank in is the right size to go skimmerless.

I dont know the long term implications though.

Perhaps the skimmerless crowd can shed some light on this.

Having the fish in the should have resulted in some collection of dark liquid.  I have run my Prizm which most poeple say is crap, but has managed to collect quite a lot of dark liquid and now that it has been setup properly, its collecting a very dry foam.  And this is even without any fishes in the tank.

I think you should be fine going skimmerless; if you do not add any more fishes to the tank, feed lightly, and keep up the weekly water changes.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Good luck.

Should be fine.  The majority of small tanks are run skimmerless.  You may even be better off without one.  Just keep up on weekly water changes.

Guest AbSoluTc

Skilter = JUNK!  The worst thing every made for the hobby.  All complaints on this thing are the same as yours.  It does NOTHING.

Get rid of it and use your Eheim.

Archived