Innovative Marine Aquariums

hermits not moving...

Inpha

Hi,

For a while now my hermits have stopped moving. For the most part they just all cluster together on a pair of tonga branch. I don't know if they've just eaten everything there is to eat, but the macro and other algaes are growin like crazy. The ammonia, nitrites, and phosphates are all at 0. The the CA is like 375-425, and the nitrates are real low. Any ideas...

I've noticed mine have a corner that they all go to and sit in for a while as a group from time to time. At first this annoyed me and I scattered them around, but after the first couple of times I decided to wait and see. After a day or so, one of them had molted. The next time they gathered, one of them had a new shell afterward (an empty one happened to be sitting nearby). I moved all the empty shells over there and since then they've gone through a few "upgrades", always gathering together as a group beforehand.

I guess they're just into togetherness. Maybe they have rituals for these sorts of "life changes" or whatever. Or maybe they're just mating.

I would just leave them alone, and maybe put some empty shells where they like to gather.

they are planning a revolt with a "great escape" ending.

get out yer poken stick, break up the rally before its too late !

I doonno. perhaps they are watching "the grass grow".

No Worries.

:happy:

I've caught mine hanging out in back playing poker... damn hawaiian crab cheats the red legs out of all there money...:P :x Actually I think thier devising a plan to attack my GSP... they keep looking at it nervously...

i think dave's right, the crabs are planning world domination. Mine attempted a "escape the tank, get to knife cabinet" run, but I had a stick ready :P

Mine are doing the same right now. Two of them have been nearly motionless right on top of one another. I keep thinking one might be dead (and the other is eating it), but every day or so they move to a different part of the tank.

On a related note, I hate how my sebae clown sleeps at night. He does it right in the corner of the tank and looks dead. Scares me every night.

Archived