SaltCritters.com

Host for clownfish?

eferna

fishymissy

Many clowns will take to hammer, or frogspawn corals. I've even seen them take to featherdusters and I think a bubble coral too.

but considering this tank is about 3 weeks old what kind of coral can i put in? I have button polyps in there already and they are doing fine.

fishymissy

Are you done cycling on that tank?

If not, I wouldn't put any coral in, but if it is finished, whatever floats your boat. Hammers and frogspawn have rather long sweeper tentacles so keep that in mind when placing them. Bubble corals have sweepers too, but they aren't very long so you can place them closer to other corals. Of course, featherdusters don't have any sweepers....but they look cool!!

What kind of clown do you have?  One of my pink skunks took to a modern meat coral, which would be good for a nano, since they're hardy and not as aggressive as some of the ones above that have sweeper tentacles.

You could also try a long or short tentacle plate.  If you get a long tentacle, make sure it's not injured at all before you buy it, and be very careful when moving it.

FWIW, your clown will be fine without a host, so don't rush on putting in a coral before your tank is stabilized.

But really, it's all a matter of luck.  Your clowns might not ever take anything as a host, especially if they're tank-raised.  You'd have the best luck with their wild hosts, which are, of course, all anemones, but when it comes to substitutions, they get picky.

My pair of tank-raised ocellaris couldn't care less that there is inviting torch coral and xenia in their tank.  They still choose to sleep on top of the powerheads every night.  In time, they might change their minds, especially once spawning commences, but there's no telling what they'll do.

Matthew

(Edited by MKramer at 10:17 am on June 9, 2002)

Guest AbSoluTc

I would try Xenia.  My clown has taken to the whole patch.  He thinks its his own private sleeping quarters! hehe.  He is cute tho.  He comes out for food then dashes back in like he is playing hide and seek.

Fun to watch!

from what i heard xeina is hard to keep in a nano. I have a ocellaris clown. My cycling is complete...or at least there has not been any spikes in the readings. I love bubble corals. I think would want to try a bubble.

Its just that its so expensive where i live. Its like CAD$69.00 for a small piece.

Guest AbSoluTc

You will have better luck with Xenia in a nano than a buble coral.  Both of them will do fine, but Xenia is hardier.  Takes alot to kill it too.

you have heard xenia doesnt do well? it is in my opinion one of the easiest corals to keep. i have only had my tank up for about 2-3 months and started with one small patch now i have like 5 patches. my false perc has no interest in the xenia thouhg. some people recommended to me that i get like a fake clownfish(like glass or plastic) and set it near what i want him to use as a host and it will sometimes go into it. this sounds wierd to me but i think i might give it a try.leathers are usually good hosts and ardy too.

say... will a clown take an artificial host like a patch of macroalgea or will the only thing they will check is stingind celld animals?

Archived