SaltCritters.com

new setup questions

TNreefguy

i have setup my new tank that i got from chris. i have about 14 lbs of live rock and about 20 lbs of that live sand in a bag: also seeded it with some substrate from my established 55. now i have green algae growing everywhere and i need to now if it would be a good idea to go ahead and add a hermit or two while the tank is cycling. Sorry about the long sentence but i am at work and in a hurry.

Guest AbSoluTc

Adding anything during a cycle such as crabs or snails would probably kill them if not make them very ill. Have you tested your water recently to see how things are?

If not, do that first and post it. Then we can help you out.

I tested yesterday. since it has been about 10 days. The Ph was about 8.2 the ammonia was undetectable so was the nitrates and nitrites. I used live rock from my big tank and live sand so what puzzles me is if the cycle is complete or has not even began.

Guest AbSoluTc

Well, since you used LR and LS from an established tank - there probably was no cycle :) In this case, you can safely add 1 or 2 inverts of your choice to get the tank started up and looking good. Choose wisely! Alot of people do not like crabs and wind up removing them later.

So, for the health of the animals, choose something that won't become a nuisance to you later :)

GL.

Archived