Cultivated Reef

Need help on tank size

UofAHog

I am going to be setting up my first nano late this summer and so I starting by doing lots of research and reading.  I want to do a 20 gal for the extra size and the security of double the capacity of a 10gal.  I can't decide on which to get: 20L or 20H.  It would be great to have all the swimming and coral space of a 20 long but deeper tanks also look really good and you can keep corals that grow taller.  What does everyone think.  Also if you have any pictures of your 20s throw them up here so I can get a better idea.  Thanks for answering this question and the dozens of others I will soon be asking.

-Matt

My Alife 7

There's been discussions here on whether or not high tanks are better then long tanks and vice versa. And basically, it's 50/50. I personally like the 20L.

printerdown01

I'm with My Alife 7 on this one -but like he said it is truely just a personal preference. I like the longs because they are shallower allowing for more light at the bottom of the tank. There are also easier to get a circular watter flow through... but you are right, you can get longer corals if you go with the high...

I have a 24G, its the long version - 36inches long.

You have a lot more room to space out your corals and since its a shallow tank the lighting is better on the corals.

Plus fishes get a load more swimming space and you get a lot more water surface area for gaseous exchange.

The high version is night for creating a high reef wall though.

But I would go with the long version.

Guest AbSoluTc

As a previous 20l owner - I would have to say NOT do it unless the tank is going to be sitting at eye level.  There is hardly any room to view it if sitting at waist level, not to mention there is no "growing" room.  The tank is only 10/12" tall I beleive.

Go with a 20 high or a 28 bow - both give you lots of room all around.

I would agree with CoolAvatarMan and say that a 28 gallon bowfront will give you 10 times more options, not only are they extremely pleasing to the eye, but they have a lot of room both ways to swim and grow... An awesome tank to create a reef wall like I opted to do. So I would say neither, go for the 28 gallon bow...

gaber

quiksilver5768

Its all just prefernce. IMO, i had a 20L and i found it kind of hard to aquascape. Since it is so long, your not exactly sure what to do (well i wasnt). But if aquascaped nicely, they can look very good. Also high tanks look very nice when the LR is built and stacked up. It looks like a wall in the ocean...

The only main difference is the lighting. To keep the same corals in the 20L as a 20 H you would need more light. The 20L is shallower and therefore light can penetrate through the shallower depth much morre easily than a tall 20H.

I really like my 20L.  I didn't think I would be happy with a nano, but I set this up after seeing Mr. Fixit's 20 L pics on here.  I found it easier to aquascape because I didn't have to build a lot of small rocks on top of each other.  It's also long enough to scape so that the rock's tall on one side and shorter on the other side.  Another bonus is more swimming space for fish.  

i would go with the long for 3 reasons it has a less of a chance getting knocked over on accident(may sound stupid but true) and the fish will have more swimming room and 3 the lighting will be more effective ,Chris:)

Archived