SaltCritters.com

Help!!!

bbb1080

my pearly jawfish is not feeling so hot. he wont eat and mostly doesnt even stay in his hole. he swims around franically at the surface or sits at the bottom and looks dead. please offer somthing cause in canada these fish are worth like a hundred dollars, plus i like the little bastard. oh yeah hes been in the tank for like 1.5 months doing great and all params are good just did a water change to boot.

Well... do you even think we could help you, really, with that info? We need a list of water params, and history of the tank.

The only thing I can say now is to get enough surface agitation.

everything is at zero except nitrates which have been steady at 20 ppm for the last 2 monthes. the tank is 3 monthes old. specific gravity is 1.025 pH is a little above 8 and i dose calcium, iodine and coral vite. KH is good too. um what else... surface agitation is fine with a aquaclear mini and a powersweep 212 pointed up for surface agitation. tank is stocked with a tiny perc a scooter dragonet and various cleanup crew members, the only thing i can think of is that maybe the skunk cleaner i just added is bothering it, but i havent seen anything, the tank is a 10 gal. anything else needed just reply and ill do my best

Have you tried spot feeding him? Just put the food inside his hole he hides in. You'll know if he's eating when you see his big belly. BTW, what are you feeding him? I would suggest frozen blood worms or mysis shrimp, that's what I feed mine.

i spot feed all my fish, i dont like for there to be a mess if someones not hungry, helps keep the bioload down. i feed them all a mixture of mysid and brine shrimp. but no hes still not eating he just spits it out or blows it away from his hole.

Try frozen blood worms. Also, have you added any critters lately that maybe stressing him out? Sometimes Jawfish can't handle new competition and play stubborn for a while. I know when I introduced a new fish in my tank, my Jaw refused to eat for a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived