Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxi-Jet POS?

flaunt

i just picked up a Maxi-Jet 400 powerhead and plugged it in... nothing. sounds like it's running, but there's no water flow. i ain't an idiot, what's the secret to getting this POS to start pumping water? X)

Guest AbSoluTc

1 - Make sure it is not closed. There is an adjustment for max-min flow and inbetween.

2 - Bang it and see if it needs a jumpstart. Perhaps it has been sitting a little bit longer than normal and needs some help :)

3 - Return and get one that works. Great pumps IMO

hmmm where is this flow adjustment at? i saw no mention of one in the documentation and i don't see anything on is that looks like a flow adjuster (other than the head which swivels to change the flow direction).

hmmm well i was in a rush to replace one of my aquaclear 201s that started sounding like a tank, and i'd heard these were good, so i thought i'd try one. i might just take it back and see if i can find one of the micro-jets at another store since my tank is only 10g..

The 400's don't have any type of flow regulator/adjustor on them... I have several Maxi's ( four of the 400's actually) In my opinion almost a bullet-proof PH.

Did you take it apart to make sure the impellor housing had nothing stuck in it, i.e.,small piece of packing material...

It is airlocked? They will start up and run but won't push any water if there is air in them, least that has happened to me on several occasions... tip the powerhead upward and let the air bubble out, if you do this while PH is plugged in just be careful where it's pointing when it primes and starts uh, squirting...lol

Don't mean to be the master of the obvious if you have already done all this... last but not least, are you SURE it is plugged into a working outlet? If none of this works or helps.... YEP, take it back! I would not hesitate to get another though... I think they're nice pumps.

i took it apart to make sure there was nothing inside, tried the tipping idea to get the bubbles out (i even shook it around underwater to make sure)... and yeah i've got lots of other aquarium stuff plugged into the same outlet plus i can hear the and feel the powerhead kick on when i plug it in. ho well, i'll just take it back. hopefully they'll give me my money back and i can try to locate a microjet since i like the smaller footprint.

thanks for the help guys.

just a followup...

this weekend i got ahold of one of the a micro-jet 450s (same co. as the maxi-jet). holy sh!t can that thing pump some water for such a small pump! it can push 117gph and is tiny (hence the name micro-jet) compared to any comparable powerhead i've seen, and it's basically silent. i love it. i'm probably going to get a second one to replace my other aquaclear 201 that i'm still using.

Just an fyi -

I recently had two maxi jet impellers take a dump (at the exact same time, but 2 1/2 yrs old). Both of them had the magnet part of the assembly separate from the actual impeller (plastic part of the assembly). A little super glue seemed to fix them.

With the broken impeller, they did demonstrate the exact problem - I could hear and feel the pump operating, but no water flow... the magnet part of the assembly was working, but since the actually impeller wasn't spinning, no flow.

HTH

Ed

You won't regret it. I have two microjets in my 10 gallon and they really kick butt. The size of those things is incredible. I would never go with anything else.

Im bringing a case of these to NYC, they kick ass and are even smaller.

AquaGlobe Pumps web site . http://www.aquaglobe.com look fer Micro Aqua Pump. 3 sizes, 4.5W, 5.5 W, 6.5W 100 gph - 225 Gph.

the ballast powersupply is completely remote, so less than 1 % heat transferance it put in the tank. retail is like 15.00018.00 ea

Maxi-jet 400s do have starting problems unlike the 600's and above. Pull out the impeller assembly, check that the magnet hasn't separated from the teflon holding the impeller. If the teflon moves independently of the magnet, its fuxored. BTW ... if is broken, don't bother with superglue, it won't last. Call up Maxijet in Ohio and ask them to send you a replacement impeller pronto. There is no charge for this service because they recognize that they have a problem with the impeller assembly. I've already lost two this way and they replaced them within about a week.

If the impeller assembly looks ok put it back together without the cage, run it out of the water for a few seconds and see if its spinning. You should hear the clattering. If it is, pop it into the water and it should start pumping. If not, either there is something jamming it or there is an internal wiring failure. Given their history of startup probs, I would only use it for a salt mixer personally.

Hey Dave...

I have a couple of the AquaGlobe pumps I picked up awhile back, the bigger ones, got em for 15 bucks a pop. I haven't used them yet as I am still setting up the tank... did throw one in my water mixin' bucket and I'm impressed! Just wondering if you have any feedback on how they hold up to wave timers... I did plug 'em/unplug 'em a few times and no chatter or anything. I'm just concerned that powering the little transformer off and on over and over again may not be so good for them. Whatcha think?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave Am I gonna fry my little transistored mini micro teeny tiny water pumpies er what?

Sorry but yer the only person I have ran across that even knows what these things are or seen them. I got them because a garden shop my wife works for had them for these little Feng Shui (or whatever) table top fountain thingies... How stupid are those... they splash water on the nice shellac job leaving white spots all over and I gotta go pee more often.

I feel your pain think about ordering 12 MJ900's and only 3 work that what happened at the LFS I work at. For some reason these things are notroius for not working, usually it is ther impeller. If the piece of plastics that is below the pin wheel in not connected to the magnet below it's broke. Take it back to the LFS and ask for a new one. you might even have them teatit be for you take it home.

Archived